What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Detecting new devices

Votes:

I am new to PRTG and I am having a hard time figuring out how everything works. I want to detect when a new device is added and has gone up and send this as a notification on slack. Is there a fast way to do this inside PRTG? I saw something called the auto-discovery which sounds like it might get the job done but I am not totally sure what that does.

auto-discovery new-device prtg

Created on Apr 8, 2020 5:16:59 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hi there, thanks for the KB thread and using PRTG.

Auto-Discovery is a method in PRTG to discover the devices and sensors and add it to your PRTG. PRTG creates a notifying ticket when at least one new device or sensor has been discovered. By default, PRTG sends tickets via email as well. However, I am afraid you can't use Slack as the notification method for auto-discovery.

Slack and other notification options can be used for alerts

Besides that, since you are new to PRTG, please be reminded to check out our get-started page. It has a lot of training material that will definitely help you with your setup.

Created on Apr 9, 2020 4:44:13 PM by  Chan Siau Hen [Paessler Technical Support]

Last change on Apr 9, 2020 4:44:48 PM by  Chan Siau Hen [Paessler Technical Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.