What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Notification paused

Votes:

It is possible to stop all notification on a device based on ping sensor? If ping is down all other sensors go paused and not send email. I create dependencies between devices in order to stop notification from. But i wanna stop notification from sensors inside device if ping is down.

dependencies notification ping-sensor

Created on Apr 14, 2020 4:35:25 PM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

You can go to your Coreswitch device or a corresponding sensor, you can select the option "select a sensor" below "Dependencies". Afterwards, you can select a Sensor of your gateway (e.g. a Ping Sensor).

Created on Apr 17, 2020 8:34:17 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

7 Replies

Votes:

Hello there,

Thank you for your post.

You can set the Ping sensor as "Master sensor for parent" in the Settings of the sensor, that way all the sensors on the device will be paused once the Ping sensor is down.

Kind regards,
Sasa Ignjatovic, Tech Support Team

Created on Apr 15, 2020 7:53:44 AM by  Sasa Ignjatovic [Paessler Support]

Votes:

OK. So if I set ping as parent for device can I create dependencies between that device and other one. For example: AcceessPoint depend on Switch which is connected or group of multiple devices (printers, scanner) connected to switch?

Created on Apr 15, 2020 8:59:18 AM

Votes:

If you set the sensor as "Master sensor for parent", only the sensors in the device on which the Ping sensor is will be paused. You can set a dependency to a sensor in the "Settings" tab of a device under "Schedules, Dependencies, and Maintenance Window" by selecting the option "Select a sensor".

Created on Apr 15, 2020 9:43:31 AM by  Sasa Ignjatovic [Paessler Support]

Votes:

So is only one way: 1. ping as parent and all sensors on that device are paused (if upper device is down no paused, no stop in notification, sensors because no relation) or 2. create dependencies based on other sensor device (ex: ping- other sensors in device not paused in case of down)

Created on Apr 15, 2020 10:28:07 AM

Votes:

You can have one Ping sensor be selected as Master sensor for parent, and also have other devices be dependent on that sensor. In that case all devices that have a set dependency on that sensor will be paused once the sensor is down.

For example, if you have 3 devices, you can set the Ping sensor of device 1 as the "Master sensor", this will pause all sensors in device 1 once the ping sensors is down. You can also go to the "Settings" tab of device 2 and 3 and set the dependency for then on the Ping sensor from device 1. In that case all 3 device would be paused if the Ping sensor goes down.

Created on Apr 15, 2020 12:55:58 PM by  Sasa Ignjatovic [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I understand. In this case how do i inherit device to another device: coreswitch to gateway device? I need to add them to distinct (individual) group?

Created on Apr 16, 2020 1:43:39 PM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

You can go to your Coreswitch device or a corresponding sensor, you can select the option "select a sensor" below "Dependencies". Afterwards, you can select a Sensor of your gateway (e.g. a Ping Sensor).

Created on Apr 17, 2020 8:34:17 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.