What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Add new devices automatically in the right group.

Votes:

Good morning all,

Could you advise me on the following question?

I would like to do so that all the devices discovered by auto discovery are automatically moved to the right groups. For example: If I create groups for printers, Windows devices or CCTV. I can create a sensor template adapted to the data I want to monitor for each device. But manually moving thousands of devices does not seem like an option to me.

How can I make sure that each newly discovered device receives the right template and is automatically moved to the right group?

Thanks for your help.

autodiscovery move-devices template

Created on Apr 17, 2020 12:51:51 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hi Mr Bean,

Have you checked out Auto-Discover Groups? There is an option where you can do discovery based on a specific device template that you have already created. Assuming you have multiple networks, you can create the group to run discovery at periodic intervals, ie; Once, daily, weekly, monthly etc on a set IP subnet. There are also options to use DNS and Active Directory to discover your devices.

From your user case, I think if you create the auto discovery groups and have them categorized right this should work. Hope this helps.

regards,

toy

Created on Apr 18, 2020 12:21:51 PM

Votes:

Hi Toy,

Thanks for your answer.

I looked at the auto-discovery options and didn't really understand how to get the desired result or even if it was possible. I'll try to explain it better.

1) I create different template adapted to the some device type: let's say "printers", "Windows devices" or "CCTV" 2) In the device view, I create a group per subnet , in that group I create a sub-group per device type. ("printers", "Windows devices" or "CCTV") 3) If I understand things correctly, I run a auto-discovery on the desired subnet, with the desired device template selected, it return all the devices seen. With the right template applied. (Correct?)

For the first auto discovery on that subnet, how can I have my printer device moved automaticly in the printer group and same for each device/group. Running a autodiscovery by subnet and manually moving each device to his right group would take me days or weeks.

Kr.

Mr Bean

Created on Apr 20, 2020 9:53:27 AM

Votes:

Hi Mr Bean,

I would also recommend creating a structure with groups, and devices or device types underneath and to execute a template based auto-discovery on each single object one by one.

I know it's time consuming but you don't set-up a neatly organized device structure in a wink. Moving multiple devices at once though (by selecting multiple objects at once), is possible via the Management tab, I don't know whether you checked this one out yet.

Best,
Sebastian

Created on Apr 20, 2020 1:00:16 PM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.