What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How to graph pppoe sessions for particular VLAN ID/Interface in a Cisco Router?

Votes:

Hello.

I'm trying to monitor pppoe active user sessions in a Cisco router with MIBs. So far, I managed to graph in PRTG all active sessions (oid value: 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.194.1.1.1.0) but can't find how to monitor sessions for particular VLAN ID or interface.

To be more precise. Have an ASR1004, in which several vlans interfaces are configured. What I want to achieve is to monitor active sessions per different interface or Vlans ID where users are connectetd.

Is this possible with PRTG? Have you had any similar experiences?

For MIBs, I am relying on this site: http://www.circitor.fr/Mibs/Html/C/CISCO-PPPOE-MIB.php

Thanks

mibs oid pppoe vlan

Created on Apr 20, 2020 6:27:21 PM

4 Replies

Votes:

Hi Toni,

Did you already tried to use the OID "1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.194.1.1.9". This object provides limit on number of PPPoE sessions on a particular Vlan.

Created on Apr 21, 2020 10:23:52 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Moritz,

Have tried this OID and I got a graph, but the problem is, that graph cannot be specified, to whom VLAN ID or Interface it belongs. Actually in router we have something like this:

bba-group pppoe ipro-pppoe-vlan161
virtual-template 161
service profile ipro
sessions per-vc limit 1024
sessions per-mac limit 1
sessions per-vlan limit 3000
sessions auto cleanup

bba-group pppoe bus-pppoe-vlan171
virtual-template 171
service profile ipro
sessions per-vc limit 500
sessions per-mac limit 1
sessions per-vlan limit 2048
sessions auto cleanup

bba-group pppoe small-pppoe-vlan181
virtual-template 181
service profile ipro
sessions per-vc limit 500
sessions per-mac limit 1
sessions per-vlan limit 5000
sessions auto cleanup

The graph we get from OID: 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.194.1.1.9.0 have the value 5000 which it seems belongs the 3rd bba-group 181 (the max limit, if we can calculate in this way). What about other bba-groups?! The Custom Sensor doesn't offer any field to specify more further.

Maybe I'm not doing it right!

Created on Apr 22, 2020 12:58:37 PM

Last change on Apr 23, 2020 7:49:44 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Toni,

I recommend to use our SNMP Tester and query the MIB or only the corresponding table. In this way, you will receive a more clear picture of the SNMP results.

Created on Apr 23, 2020 7:52:41 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Moritz,

I'll do some tests with SNMP Tester. I'll share the results with you.

Thanks

Created on Apr 24, 2020 7:25:08 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.