What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Any example of code using restapi / link to online restapi url

Votes:

Hello, i need to interface via restapi to the PRSTG. Im pretty new 0 knowledge of the tool but what i need is simply to connect to the tool via restapi ( i will be using python) to import in an external tool the inventory of netdevices with

1. some main attrbutes of the devices
  2. interfaces and used ports of the devices

I tried to browse a little bit but i did not find a structured list of apis ..., maybe you have specific links to the "standard rest api documentation" connecting to the tool itself as it happens now for all a lot of products exposing rest apis...

Any advice is more than welcome.

code-snippet online-restapi-page restapi-online-documentation

Created on Apr 22, 2020 4:58:50 PM

Last change on Apr 23, 2020 1:50:57 PM by  Birk Guttmann [Paessler Support]

6 Replies

Votes:

Hi there,

I'm not sure what you want to achieve here. Do you want to gather data from the PRTG Server or get data to the PRTG server via API?

You can find information about the PRTG API in this article.

Kind regards,
Birk Guttmann, Tech Support Team

Created on Apr 23, 2020 1:54:07 PM by  Birk Guttmann [Paessler Support]

Votes:

What I need is to get data from the PRGT tool:

I need to

1. collect all the network devices with their main attributes (name serial number OS, vendor etcc..)
  2. collect for every device the configured interfaces and ports

Can I be redirected to some quick example? the documentation is not such immediate to consult

Thanks a lot for the help

Lorenzo

Created on Apr 23, 2020 2:03:40 PM

Last change on Apr 24, 2020 8:51:41 AM by  Birk Guttmann [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi there,

I'm afraid, that's not possible with PRTG. The mentioned tasks are more fitting to a inventory software, but PRTG is more focused on monitoring the the performance and stability of the infrastructure. Maybe there will be features added like this in the future, but not for the near future.

Kind regards,

Created on Apr 24, 2020 8:55:41 AM by  Birk Guttmann [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Oh ok, so many thanks for the clarification .

So I m curious about one thing: where do you get the list of devices to be monitored?

I was convinced that the inventory of the devices is managed inside the product . Ok the restapi are focused on monitoring matters....

If the inventory of devices is managed in the tool is ther any way to collect this info in another way (apart restapis...) ?

Created on Apr 24, 2020 9:16:09 AM

Votes:

Hello , browsing in the knowledge base I see this:

how can I get the list of most recently added d evices?

Unfortunately, the answer doesn't work because sortby incorrectly sorts objid alphabetically rather than numerically. For example:

https://<IPAddress>/api/table.xml?content=devices&output=xml&columns=objid&sortby=objid&username

So it seems that the apis exist but I reallay need the documentation of all the get methods . Where can I find them?

Thanks again

Created on Apr 24, 2020 1:56:10 PM

Last change on Apr 27, 2020 8:10:25 AM by  Birk Guttmann [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi there,

I'm afraid, but that's all we share at the moment. We also work on some changes here, but those won't be available in the near future and we don't have an ETA yet. Since your are very interested in the API here, I want to share an Powershell module written by one of our customers. It is very powerful and helps to handle some requests easier.

Please take a look here.

Kind regards,

Created on Apr 27, 2020 9:11:38 AM by  Birk Guttmann [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.