What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Sensor only start after another

Votes:

Hello,

This is what I want to achieve, and hopefully I can explain it clearly:

1. I have a robocopy script to make a back up of a local folder to a cloud service every night at mid-night. The robocopy log file will be saved in C:\Robolog\log.txt
  2. I add "Folder" sensor and set to notify me if the "newest file" in the Robolog folder is "older" than 1 day.
  3. I add the "File Content" sensor, to search for any pre-defined erroneous word(s)/phrase(s), one simple such as "error" in the log file. If it does, notify me

My question is, how could I set up the "File Content" sensor (in #3 above) to run only after/if the "Folder" sensor (in #2 above) triggers ?

Thank you in advance

dependency file-content folder

Created on Apr 23, 2020 6:12:43 AM

Last change on Apr 23, 2020 9:14:56 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

7 Replies

Votes:

If the folder sensor is the the required state you can pause / un-pause the sensor via an API call which is defined in a HTTP notification. Please take a closer look on our API documentation.

Created on Apr 23, 2020 9:19:10 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi there, Not sure if I understand what you suggest. The sensor is only pause and un-pause. I did not see the option to "run after"... Could you please elaborate the suggestion? Thanks

Created on Apr 26, 2020 3:16:22 PM

Votes:

There is no such a option, you will need to work with limits and if necessary with an additional sensor (which checks the state and triggers the API call accordingly).

Created on Apr 27, 2020 9:37:53 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello there, I understood the logic now. We are all non-coder but we are trying to achieve the following procedure:

By default, we will have
- "Folder" sensor is "Pause"
- "File" sensor is "Pause"
- UPS-APC "input" sensor is running

1/ If the UPS-APC input sensor sends an error message, trigger the Folder Sensor to run
2/ If the Folder sensor is up, trigger the File sensor to run
3/ Once the UPS-APC sensor is back to normal, pause the Folder sensor and pause the file sensor

Do you think it is do-able and where we could find the information for this? Thank you very much

Created on Apr 28, 2020 3:36:24 AM

Last change on Apr 28, 2020 9:00:55 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Yes, you can do this in this way. You can find the information in "Setup > PRTG API > Object Manipulation". With this information, you can create the API call. This API call can be implemented in the notification template where you enabled the option "HTTP".

Created on Apr 28, 2020 9:02:18 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thank you for your info. But in the Setup, I cannot find the option "PRTG API" like you mentioned. We have the latest version of the PRTG though Am I missing anything? Thank you

Created on Apr 28, 2020 3:39:09 PM

Votes:

Hi James,

You need enter the API in the desired Notification Template under Execute HTTP Action.

Kind regards,
Marijan Horsky, Team Tech Support

Created on Apr 29, 2020 6:36:09 AM by  Marijan Horsky [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.