What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Unpause sensor via factory-sensor

Votes:

Hello,

I wanted to ask if the following implementation is possible:

I got two SQL DBs on two different servers. If DB1 goes down then DB2 goes up. There are two sensors, that show that DB1 is up and DB2 is down.

What I'd like to do is pause the DB2 Sensor and if DB1 goes down, unpause DB2.

Is there a possibility for that? I tried it with the factory sensor, but I can't see a way to resume a paused sensor with it.

Regards and thank you for any answers.

factory-sensor failover sql

Created on Apr 29, 2020 11:52:30 AM

2 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi,

In this case you can work with API calls in Notification Triggers.

For this you have to first set up three Notification Templates with a meaningful template name.
Afterwards you have to enable the option "Execute HTTP Action" for each Template.
In here you have enter the following API Calls:

- Template 1: http(s):>YOURPRTG</api/pause.htm?id=>SENSORID1<&action=1&username=>ADMIN<&passhash=><

- Template 2: http(s):
>YOURPRTG</api/pause.htm?id=>SENSORID2<&action=1&username=>ADMIN<&passhash=><

- Template 3: http(s):>YOURPRTG</api/pause.htm?id=%sensorid&pausemsg=>DESIRED MESSAGE<&action=0&username=>ADMIN<&passhash=><

The first two template will change the state of the parent sensor to up and the third API call will pause the affected sensor.

Afterwards you have to open the first desired "Ping" sensor and get to "Notification Trigger" menu.
In here you have to create two new "State Triggers" with the following values:
- State Trigger 1: When sensor state is Down for at least 0 seconds, perform >Template 2<
- State Trigger 2: When sensor state is Down for at least 5 seconds, perform >Template 3<

If you have created this triggers then you have to open the same menu in the second "Ping" sensor and create also two "State Triggers" with the following values:
- State Trigger 1: When sensor state is Down for at least 0 seconds, perform >Template 1<
- State Trigger 2: When sensor state is Down for at least 5 seconds, perform >Template 3<

After that you can test the reactions by "Simulate an error status" and check if the behavior is correct and everything works as it should be.

Created on Apr 30, 2020 7:45:26 AM by  Marijan Horsky [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello Marijan,

that solution worked perfectly, thank you very much!

Created on Apr 30, 2020 5:01:36 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.