What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Sensors gets status down when option ignore is sett

Votes:

So we just updated to the lastet version and noticed all kinds of sensors showing status down. I do want ping to work, and it does but i dont need a larm for ethernet traffic. If the ping for a site is down, i dont need to be alarmed about ethernet if that makes sense

In the sensor option i have chosen "Connection Status Handling, Ignore all "disconnected states" but the sensor still keeps showing down. Is there something ive missed?

ignore-alarm snmp status-down

Created on May 6, 2020 12:03:37 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hi Bast,

Please note that the disconnected state also needs to be reported from the target device. If the query only fails, this option takes to effect.
You can define your Ping Sensor for the master object for the device. In this way, if the Ping Sensor goes into the "Down" state, all other Sensors will be paused.

Created on May 6, 2020 12:31:01 PM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi, thanks for your answer!

I did look in to this and it seems to work. Only issue is that i have to do this on every site, but maybe thats unavoidable? Great tip otherwise! :)

Before the update i think it put all other sensors in "warning" if ping went down. Is that still possible and is that easier to do than change ping to master on every site?

Created on May 6, 2020 1:45:51 PM

Votes:

Hi Bast,

Thank you for the feedback.

Unfortunately you cannot define every ping Sensors as Master via our multi edit feature. Therefore, you would need to do this on every site. In the earlier versions, the behavior was the same in PRTG. It's possible that the device recovered fast enough so the Sensors never went in the "Down" state. Please note that by default, PRTG sets the Sensors in the "Warning" state for one scanning interval if a query fails. This can be changed in the "Scanning Interval" options in the "Settings" tab of the object.

Created on May 7, 2020 6:06:57 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.