What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Multiple Sensors for Single Switch Port

Votes:

I am doing auto-discovery on a Cisco small office switch (SG300) and PRTG (20.1.57.1745+) returns with multiple SNMP sensors for each switch port.

Each port ends up with 3 sensors. The traffic looks identical and all 3 sensors report themselves as sensor type "SNMP Traffic 64 bit".

Are these just duplicate or are they trying to report different data? Is there any reason not to delete the duplicates? All of the ports are on the same VLAN, and are vanilla out of the box as far as switch configuration is concerned.

Thank you for you help, David.

cisco prtg snmp

Created on May 6, 2020 3:27:43 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

David,

Are these the result of running multiple auto-discoveries, or just a single one?

Benjamin Day
[Paessler Support]

Created on May 6, 2020 5:47:04 PM by  Benjamin Day [Paessler Support] (1,441) 2 1

Votes:

Just a single discovery. I have data in here now - if I delete them all and re-discover will the legacy usage data be maintained?

Created on May 6, 2020 6:36:48 PM

Votes:

Dave,

No, if you remove a sensor, it will remove the data as well. Can you open a support ticket, and send us screenshots of the multiple instances that get created after running the auto-discovery?

Benjamin Day
[Paessler Support]

Created on May 7, 2020 3:46:58 AM by  Benjamin Day [Paessler Support] (1,441) 2 1

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.