What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

sensor which won't show error if there is downtime

Votes:

Hi

I'm wondering if someone could help me with a type of sensor I need to create.

I want to monitor some values on machine (like windows services). I created a ping sensor for the machine, and created a dependant sensors to this ping sensor. If the machine is switched off, the dependant sensors go down, dependant sensors are paused as expected. However the ping sensor will be in error state. I was wondering if there is any way to create a sensor which won't show error, but based on state (if the machine is on - enable dependant sensors, or disable them when off).

dependency-on-ping prtg sensor

Created on May 14, 2020 9:42:16 AM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hello Andy,

Dependencies in PRTG only work for down status. What you can do is to go into the settings of the Ping sensor and to enable the Show down (acknowledged) status on error option to avoid the down status.

Kind regards,
Felix Saure, Tech Support Team

Created on May 15, 2020 5:28:03 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.