What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How to add Esxi 6.7 Update 3 to PRTG 17.1

Votes:

I got this error when i add Esxi 6.7 update 3 host to PRTG server 17.1

Could not create the sensor VMware Virtual Machine (SOAP) on device

The underlying connection was closed: An unexpected error occurred on a send.

Please check the following resources: Requires .NET 4.0 or higher to be installed on the probe system. For this sensor type you must define credentials for VMware servers on the device you want to use the sensor on. Ensure you enter a user with sufficient access rights to obtain statistics (read-only usually works). We recommend that you use vCenter as parent device. When the monitored VM changes the host server via vMotion, PRTG can continue monitoring in this case. The sensor can monitor VMware ESXi server version 5.0, 5.1, 5.5, or 6.0. We recommend Windows 2012 R2 on the probe system for best performance of this sensor. For VMware virtual machines, disk usage channels are only available as of virtual hardware version 8. Knowledge Base: I cannot add VMware sensors because of "wrong" password although it is correct. What can I do? This sensor type can have a high impact on the performance of your monitoring system. Please use it with care! We recommend that you use not more than 50 sensors of this sensor type on each probe. Knowledge Base: I cannot add VMware sensors because of "wrong" password although it is correct. What can I do? http://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/66794

how to solve this issue ?

note snmpd services is enabled on the server

esxi6 prtg vmware

Created on May 19, 2020 10:15:01 AM

4 Replies

Votes:

Hi there,

did you followed the steps mentioned in the error message? In addition, please note that this Sensor does not use SNMP.

Created on May 19, 2020 10:23:39 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Votes:

yes i did follow the steps i also make another user on esxi 6.7 U3 does not contains any other special characters then add it to prtg but didn't work note i'am still using prtg 17.1 Version note that any host with exsi 6.0 or older still the monitor working in prtg

the issue happend after update host from 6.0 to 6.7 U3

any help i need to monitor my esxi host with prtg

Created on May 23, 2020 11:02:18 AM

Votes:

Hi there,

Thank you for the information. Please try to add the Sensor in a up-to-date PRTG instance.
As a side note, we officially only support PRTG installations which are not older than one year.

Created on May 25, 2020 6:16:56 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Votes:

This is actually a regression bug in VMware ESXi 6.5 & 6.7 U3. The fix is odd, but it works. You have to turn on debug as the log level for WSMAN and then VMWare WBEM sensors will start working again. Here is the code to run to change your log level to debug on the ESXi host (accessible via an SSH session):

esxcli system wbem get
esxcli system wbem set -e 0
esxcli system wbem set --loglevel=debug
esxcli system wbem set -e 1
esxcli system wbem get

Keep in mind that you may also have locked out the user account in ESXi if it was used by the sensor for too many failed attempts. Check the root account (or whichever account you use for authenticating for WBEM/SNMP/SOAP) for a lockout and fix it with the following commands:

pam_tally2 --user root (checks if the root account is locked out for too many failed authentication attempts)
pam_tally2 --user root --reset (resets the count on the root account)

Created on Jan 24, 2021 1:28:03 AM

Last change on Jan 25, 2021 2:07:43 PM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.