What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

ASA monitoring with snmp

Votes:

I want to monitor a Cisco ASA using snmp. I have configured the ASA and can monitor the ASA using solarwinds, but am not able to use prtg to connect using SMNP. What could be the issue?

Server using windows 2003 PRTG version 6.2.1.954

procedure: add sensor - SNMP - standard traffic sensor - snmp version 1 (tried 2 and 3 too) snmp port 161 . I get a connection failed error.

connection prtg snmp-sensor

Created on Sep 13, 2010 4:37:09 PM

12 Replies

Votes:

Dear Perry,

please use our SNMP Tester to scan against the device (please use the option "Scan for available Standard Interfaces") with the correct settings (SNMP Version, Community String, ect.). Which result do you get?

Best Regards.

Created on Sep 13, 2010 4:52:18 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Found standard interfaces: No standard interfaces found

Created on Sep 13, 2010 5:06:30 PM

Votes:

Dear Perry,

this means that the ASA didn't respond to the SNMP Requests (obviously there are standard interfaces on the ASA). Please check if the correct settings are made, and if the PC/Server where PRTG is installed (respectively its IP) is allowed to send SNMP Requests to the ASA.

Best Regards.

Created on Sep 13, 2010 5:10:45 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Check that all. The settings are all OK. I am monitoring more than 1 ASA's with PRTG. The others are no problem. The only difference is that I am using the internal interface for this ASA. It has something to do with the PRTG software, because I am able to connect using solarwinds (SNMP).

Have to create a connection to a custom interface?

Created on Sep 13, 2010 7:03:38 PM

Votes:

Dear Perry,

if you are monitoring other ASA's with PRTG, then it can hardly be an issue within PRTG that monitoring this one ASA doesn't not work. Please see if the following tipp may help: How can I see all interfaces when adding an SNMP sensor for my Cisco device?.

Best Regards.

Created on Sep 14, 2010 1:41:56 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Torsten,

Adding a device first and then edit settings? How do I add a device and then change settings within PRTG?

If solarwinds is able to connect using snmp - why can't PRTG? It does not make sence to me.

I hope you can help, because I am lost here.

Regards, Perry

Created on Sep 14, 2010 4:19:23 PM

Votes:

to edit the device settings either click on the device and then use the settings tab at the top of the page or right click on the device and then select settings from the drop down.

Now edit the "Credentials for SNMP Device".

Created on Sep 15, 2010 8:24:33 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I am sorry for this question, but I thought I knew how to work with PRTG. I am feeling like a newbie again.

Is there a way to add a device without using snmp and then edit its configuration? I seems to have the chicken / egg problem.

Can I give you guys a call?

Please advice

Created on Sep 15, 2010 3:45:50 PM

Votes:

@perry: two possible problems here. Either your PRTG server does not have layer-3 access to the ASA or the ASA is not configured to accept SNMP requests from PRTG. This assumes that PRTG as the correct read-only SNMP community string or that your user/pass is correct if using snmpV3.

Can you ping the ASA from the PRTG server? If yes then your problem is #2. Check for this line in your ASA config:

snmp-server host inside 10.1.1.1 community MyReadOnlyString

Where the PRTG server is 10.1.1.1 and is on the "inside" network.

In the ASA, you have to specify each and every IP address that needs SNMP access.

Created on Sep 15, 2010 6:40:40 PM

Votes:

Also if there happens to be a filter device between the ASA and the Lan then it may be blocking your snmp queries. When I say filter device I mean something like a Barracuda Web Filter.

Created on Mar 28, 2013 9:08:51 PM

Votes:

Why not NetFlow?

Created on Jun 7, 2013 7:22:15 PM

Votes:

As of PRTG v12, there are several sensors natively available for monitoring VPN connections on a Cisco ASA:

Created on Mar 21, 2014 5:51:17 PM by  Gerald Schoch [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.