What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Installation hang

Votes:

Windows 10, latest updates. Run PRTG Network Monitor installer as administrator (downloaded today). Setup gets to "Updating Windows Firewall Settings" and opens a cmd window to netsh.exe Nothing further happens. Malwarebytes and Windows Defender are running, but neither is being activated by the installer. Whitelisted PRTG Administrator.exe Ran a malware/virus scan. All good. Waited about an hour, ended the Setup/Uninstall task and closed the netsh window. Now cannot uninstall, either. Gets to the same point and opens netsh.exe and stops. Deleted all the PRTG folders and files. Tried again. Same results. Thank you

installer-hang netsh prtg-network-monitor

Created on May 27, 2020 6:39:02 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hi there,

Was the used user a "normal" administrator or the local administrator? If you tried it with a normal admin, please try again with the local administrator.

Created on May 28, 2020 6:30:04 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I don't know the difference. I don't have access to the other computers without signing in for access to folders/files and just used "run as administrator" to install PRTG, so I suppose that makes me a local administrator.

At this point, the PRTG software looks like more than I wanted and can grasp ... I just wanted to monitor the traffic on my cable modem and router graphically to show what was bothering my network recently (sudden slowdowns and data drops, for example). I have a small home network (three computers, a tablet, three phones, two printers, three Roku devices, a LaCrosse weather station with five sensors).

Since this is far more than I need, can you tell me how to uninstall it? The uninstall gets 'stuck' in the same place as the install (at "Updating Windows Firewall Settings" with the command prompt netsh.exe with no activity showing and no response to the keyboard by the console).

I'm very reluctant to restart my computer with a failed installation, so a hand-removal solution would be welcome (what to delete and what registry entries to remove).

Thank you, Dennis

Dennis

Created on May 28, 2020 2:44:46 PM

Votes:

Hi Dennis,

I'm sorry to hear that your experience was unfulfilled. If you want to uninstall PRTG, please check this article to receive all places where PRTG stores data: https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/463-how-and-where-does-prtg-store-its-data

Created on May 29, 2020 5:48:43 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.