What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

The IPMI System Health sensor cannot be added and shows the error code PE221. What can I do?

Votes:

When I want to add the IPMI System Health sensor, PRTG shows the error message

Could not create the sensor IPMI System Health BETA on the device xxx. The login has failed. Make sure that you entered the correct user name and password. (Code: PE221)

However, the username and password are correct. What can I do to troubleshoot the issue?

ipmi ipmi-system-health prtg

Created on Jun 22, 2020 12:02:22 PM by  Maike Guba [Paessler Support] (2,404) 2 1

Last change on Jan 5, 2023 8:19:24 AM by  Brandy Greger [Paessler Support]

1 Reply

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Change of password requirements on Supermicro IPMI modules

The issue with the IPMI System Health sensor is not an issue with PRTG but occurs with Supermicro IPMI modules that you updated to the latest firmware version. This version requires a password with at least eight characters.

If you updated the firmware version but did not change the password on the IPMI module, the password for the IPMI device that you entered in PRTG might not match the password requirements of the updated IPMI module (for example, if you used a password with only seven characters before).

Therefore, to troubleshoot the issue, you need to change the password on the IPMI module as required and enter or adapt the password in PRTG accordingly.

Created on Jun 22, 2020 12:06:40 PM by  Maike Guba [Paessler Support] (2,404) 2 1

Last change on Jan 5, 2023 8:19:41 AM by  Brandy Greger [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.