What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

SNMP Library sensor fails to install

Votes:

I'm having a heck of a time trying to get an SNMP Library sensor to install for a specific device. I've used the Paessler SNMP Tester (version 20.2.4) and adjusted the device's SNMP and security settings to allow the tester to pull basic data like Device Uptime as well as walking through part of the OID hierarchy from the device's MIB/OIDLIB file, but when I attempt to install the Library sensor using the PRTG Desktop and selecting the OIDLIB file created from the Paessler MIB Importer (version 3.5.8) the sensor creation fails with "Error connecting device. Check IP, Port, Community!"

Not sure how to further troubleshoot this. One thing I notice is there's nowhere to input the device's community string, so I set it to generic "public" on the device with READ ONLY rights and use the public community name when using the tester.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Seáinín

oidlib snmp-library snmp-sensor

Created on Jun 26, 2020 6:28:17 PM

2 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello Seáinín,

1) Did you run the SNMP tester on the Server where PRTG is installed? The SNMP Tester needs to work on the system of your PRTG probe.
2) Are you able to add other SNMP sensors to this device (for example SNMP Uptime Sensor)
3) Your SNMP settings (community string) need to be configured correctly within PRTG in the settings of the corresponding device

Kind Regards,
Timo Dambach
Paessler Tech Support

Created on Jun 29, 2020 6:39:34 AM by  Timo Dambach [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks. The trick were the SNMP settings on the device itself. I was able to run the SNMP Tester successfully from the PRTG server and I was able to add other SNMP types of sensors to the device, just not the SNMP Library sensor. Once I updated the SNMP settings on the device to match what I was using on the target, the library sensor created without issue.

Thanks!

Seáinín

Created on Jun 29, 2020 1:23:06 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.