What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Ping sensor data collection during core server outage

Votes:

Hi,

we have a core server and an exclusive remote probe to perform monitoring of (ping) sensors only for public data link and some SNMP of the internal network.

I realized that even shutting down the core server for a few minutes, I did not miss collecting information.

I know that the remote probe collects the information and sends the data to the core server database.

But I want to know how long I can stay with my core server off to perform maintenance without losing information.

Do I need a lot of disk space on the remote probe to store data during the time of maintaining the core server?

Thank you.

ping prtg snmp

Created on Jun 29, 2020 2:21:50 AM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hi Sandro,

During a Core - Probe connection loss, a buffer stores a maximum of 500,000 sensor results in the RAM of the remote probe system (up to 50 - 200 MB). This means that for 100 sensors with a 1-minute scanning interval, the monitoring results of up to 3 days can be buffered (or 52 minutes for 10,000 sensors with a 1-minute scanning interval).

For more detailed information, please follow this link: https://www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg/remote_probes_and_multiple_probes

Created on Jun 29, 2020 7:07:57 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.