What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Will PRTG 8 have billing capabilities?

Votes:

Dear Paessler Team,

at the moment we have to use serverals tools gathering and graphing statistical data from the network. One of this is Netflow Analyzer to perform billing actions. Nonetheless, I would be very happy if we could abandon Netflow Analyzer and focus on PRTG.

Will it be able to have billing plans (95-percentile and volume) with customizable pricing schemes per customer? Will it be possible to group ports or (when using sflow) ip networks to an aggregated billing in one billing plan?

This would be absolutely great and would make me a happy and easy day.

Regards, Mario

95 95-percentile aggregated billing prtg service-provider sflow

Created on Sep 14, 2010 9:29:06 AM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

We have released a billing tool, see: https://www.paessler.com/tools/billingtool

Created on Mar 21, 2011 4:51:01 PM by  Dirk Paessler [Founder Paessler AG] (11,025) 3 6

7 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

I'm afraid billing is not planned for PRTG 8.

Best Regards.

Created on Sep 14, 2010 2:44:53 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello,

these are bad news. Is there any future roadmap containing billing?

Regards, Mario

Created on Sep 14, 2010 3:32:15 PM

Votes:

In the moment there are no future plans to re-implement billing.

Created on Sep 15, 2010 3:34:35 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

This functionality already exists in PRTG 7. We currently use netflow to gather IP statistics from our edge routers and use this data to produce a 95%tile bandwidth report every month. Been using it as our primary billing platform since March.

The cool thing (in this regard) about PRTG is that if all of your edge routers export netflow to the same tcp/udp port on the probe, PRTG sees the data as single source. In essence it adds the data before doing the 95%tile calculation. If you want separate graphs from each edge router, you can create a sensor factory sensor that adds the individual sensors for reporting purposes.

Does it automatically create a bill? No, just a report that your accounting dept can use to generate a bill. Still extremely cheaper than Netflow Analyzer (by a couple of orders of magnitude).

Ping me offline if you want more detail.

Created on Sep 15, 2010 6:31:32 PM

Votes:

The billing feature in version 6 was great and so helpful. I would be great to have it back. This is a big reason why we have not upgraded.

Created on Sep 30, 2010 3:27:44 AM

Votes:

The billing feature as it was implemented in version 6 will not be available in version 8, sorry.

Created on Sep 30, 2010 7:54:27 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Accepted Answer

Votes:

We have released a billing tool, see: https://www.paessler.com/tools/billingtool

Created on Mar 21, 2011 4:51:01 PM by  Dirk Paessler [Founder Paessler AG] (11,025) 3 6

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.