What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Monitoring UPS information

Votes:

Hello I have an APC UPS connected via USB to a Synology NAS. I use PRTG to monitor several SNMP oid and it works ok. im using synology's mib which i already imported to prtg. i have two questions since Im interested in using prtg to monitor everytime the UPS transfers.

• im currently monitoring input voltage but logically, the scanning interval is too high compared to the speed of the voltage changes. how can i monitor when the ups transfers from mains to battery?
  • I have OID 1.3.6.1.4.1.6574.4.4.2.1.0 which returns a string with the latest transfer reason. it usually shows "input voltage out of range". i already added this sensor to the prtg device page but im finding difficult to understand how to log a new ups message when it transfers from main voltage to battery.

thanks

mib oid snmp synology ups

Created on Jul 1, 2020 2:36:40 AM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hi,

I am not sure what scanning interval you are using to monitor the input voltage, but you can change your scanning interval to 30 seconds or even less for testing purposes and check how PRTG works. The monitoring is based on queries that are executed every scanning interval. If your scanning interval is too high, you could miss the transfer time event.

If your APC UPS supports Syslog or SNMP Traps, you can gather event messages generated by UPS, and then show them in the Syslog Receiver Sensor or SNMP Trap Receiver Sensor.

If you would like to be notified of sensor changes related to mentioned OID, you can add a change trigger under "Notification Triggers" in "Page Header Bar". Please do not forget to customize the scanning interval.

Created on Jul 7, 2020 12:24:40 PM by  Marijan Horsky [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.