What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

ESXI Host Sensor - Unknown State | VMware Hostserver Hardware-Zustand (SOAP)

Votes:

Hi together,

our PRTG Sensor shows the state of the esxi server (6.7), and the sensor state are "warning" with following message: "Unknown. 327 elements return a unknown state: CPU2 Level-3 Cache; CPU2 Level-2 Cache; CPU2 Level-1 Cache; CPU1 Level-3 Cache; CPU1 Level-2 Cache; CPU1 Level-1 Cache; Intel Corporation Sky Lake-E PCI Express Root Port A"

I have looked at vcenter and can't find any problems. After search by google i found some solutions where you ignored the sensor...

Whats the problem here and what is to do?

----- German translation: Wir monitoren unseren ESXI Server und bei dem SOAP Sensor von PRTG bekommen wir 327 Elemente mit Unknown State. Der Fehler ist im Internet zu finden, wird aber zumeist mit der Lösung "ignorieren" bedacht.

Woher kommen die Fehler und was ist zu tun?

---

Thanks a lot Regards / Grüße Max

esxi sensor unknown-status warning

Created on Jul 9, 2020 8:57:11 AM

5 Replies

Votes:

Hello Max,

From our experience these warnings are transmitted by the CIM services from the target device. Mostly the reason is that the CIM service does not receive information from the drivers. Some updates of the vCenter change the internal way how the vendor specific drivers (Dell, HP...) communicate with the vCenter via CIM.

In your case, please change the setting from Show unknown states to Do not show unknown states if you do not want to have a unknown status for warnings.

That means that "Unknown States" should be ignored if you enable the option. Only "real" errors would be displayed.

Kind regards

Felix Wiesneth - Team Tech Support

Created on Jul 9, 2020 9:36:11 AM by  Felix Wiesneth [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello Felix,

thanks for reply. Okay i understand, so you mean to ignore will be set the sensor to green.

But what are you mean with the "vendor specific drivers"? The CIM service does not receive more information of the drivers (which drivers?)...

Is it not possible to fix it? Is it bad to set it to "do not show unknown states"? I found this vmware article to look at the CMI sensor...: https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/57171 What do you mean?

Thanks a lot Regards, Max

Created on Jul 9, 2020 9:44:04 AM

Last change on Jul 9, 2020 12:33:38 PM by  Marijan Horsky [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello Felix,

thanks for reply. Okay i understand, so you mean to ignore will be set the sensor to green.

The CIM service does not receive more information of the drivers - is that bad?

Is it not possible to fix it? Is it bad to set it to "do not show unknown states"? I found this vmware article to look at the CMI sensor...: https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/57171 I don't know if the listed sensors are all not available or all not in the machine existing...

327 sensors are not less, so 130 are just "normal" - i have this problem at more servers (we have more customers) So all to set "ignore" is the question is that right?

Thanks a lot Regards, Max

Created on Jul 9, 2020 10:14:16 AM

Votes:

Hello Max,

From our side we can't fix it, since the issue occurs not from our side. Setting the option Do not show unknown states will set the sensor into green status.

To receive a notification, if there is a new sensor in state "Unknown", you can set a upper channel limit to the "Unknown State" channel. If a new "Unknown State" is recognized by PRTG, your sensor will be return an warning or error message.

Kind regards

Felix Wiesneth - Team Tech Support

Created on Jul 9, 2020 12:15:52 PM by  Felix Wiesneth [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Try restarting the CIM service on the ESXi host to see if that clears the ''unknown'' state items. You can check in the Host-Monitor section of the VM Console in the Hardware Tab then System Sensors to see the current status and whether the restart resolves them. The ''Health'' column is the status reported via the PRTG ESXi Host Hardware sensor.

Created on Mar 15, 2022 6:57:55 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.