What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Setup Core Server in DMZ with Remote Probe

Votes:

Hi there,

I am about to set up the PRTG and are not sure which setup is the best for my use case.

Use case: Remote monitor a network, which itself is "protected" to the internet via Firewalls and a DMZ, from another network's DMZ.

The following setups came to my mind:

1) Core server in the remote DMZ, remote probe in the network to be monitored, PRTG Web Client in "my" DMZ

2) Core server in "my" DMZ, a remote probe in the remote network

3) Core server in "my" DMZ, a remote probe in the remote DMZ

4) Core server in the remote DMZ, remote probe in the remote network, a cluster core server in "my" DMZ

Problems that make me be unsure which one to use:

• With 1), the same protocol (TCP) would be used for both the connection from the core server to its remote probe, and from the core server to "my" DMZ (TCP over SSH, Internet)
  • With 2), I have not found a way to access the probe in the remote network from "my" DMZ, because there is the remote network's DMZ and the internet in between and I want a change of the communication protocol in the network's DMZ
  • With 3), The remote probe now monitors the remote DMZ... But I want it to monitor the remote network. Is there a way to have a remote probe of a remote probe?
  • With 4), this surely is not the way to use the cluster..

I hope I could describe everything clearly enough. Feel free to ask any questions where I was not clear.

Regards, Rebekka

architecture dmz prtg remote remote-probe setup

Created on Jul 9, 2020 2:46:54 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hello RebekkaL,

from PRTG's point of view, all remote probes have to be able to reach the core server via TCP protocol. Connection is initiated by the probe, but of course it is used bidirectionally. For a cluster, both cluster node have so reach each other.

A probe can only send to the core, not to another probe. For PRTG, network address or protocol translation has to be transparent.

The remote probe concept makes firewall rules easy: Allow TCP port 23560, PRTG uses it for an encrypted communication.

Created on Jul 9, 2020 7:47:39 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.