What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Notification Handling During Paused

Votes:

Collect vs. Discard.

I have a sensor that is monitoring a router interface connected to a broadband circuit. I want to collect data all hours. I only want to alert during business hours.

I don't want an alert in the middle of the night when the ISP performs maintenance.

I do want an alert if the interface goes down in the middle of the night and it is still down at 8:00 am when business opens.

I have a business hours schedule applied to the notification template.

If I use collect notification while paused, at 8:00 am I get an alert that the interface when down after hours whether it came back up or not.

If I use the Discard while paused, at 8:00 am I do not get an alert if the interface went Down and Back up, and I do not get an alert if the interface went down after hours, and never came back up.

Is there some combination of 'Notification Handling During Paused' and 'Notification Summarization' that would discard over night and then alert if still down when the notification template un-pauses.

or

a way to queue the alert and clear the alert if it comes back up before un-paused.

additional info, there is a second alert that monitors over night if more than one interface goes down to alert an oncall tech.

discards notifications pause-notification schedules summarization

Created on Jul 13, 2020 5:05:13 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hello,

I'm afraid it's not possible to send a notification after the schedule (at 8:00 am) which states that the sensor went down in the middle of the night and is still down. However if the sensor is still down when the notification template resumed, you will get a notification within the next sensor scanning interval if you are using "repeat every _ minutes"

Kind Regards,
Timo Dambach
Paessler Tech Support

Created on Jul 14, 2020 11:38:57 AM by  Timo Dambach [Paessler Support]

Last change on Jul 21, 2020 8:26:15 AM by  Timo Dambach [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.