What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

new python script not showing up in pulldown list

Votes:

hi, i added a new python script to the ..\python folder below and it is not showing up in python script advanced sensors in prtg. the location of the script is below. only the example script shows up in the pull-down

C:\Program Files (x86)\PRTG Network Monitor\Custom Sensors\python\

custom-sensor prtg python-script-advanced-sensor

Created on Jul 17, 2020 3:26:54 PM

11 Replies

Votes:

Rob,

Have you tried going to Setup -> System Administration -> Administrative Tools, and click Go under Reload File and Lookup Lists?

Try this, and then try adding the sensor again.

Benjamin Day
[Paessler Support]

Created on Jul 17, 2020 4:52:41 PM by  Benjamin Day [Paessler Support] (1,441) 2 1

Votes:

Benjamin, I tried this option: "Load Lookups and File Lists", "Reloads the lookup files from the lookups\custom folder of the PRTG program directory, and other file lists that are displayed in the web interface, for example, SNMP libraries, device icons, and report templates."

Unfortunately, only the sample script shows up when I go to "Add Sensor", select the machine, then "Next", then py to pop up the Python Scripts Advanced box, Select it, and then only sensor_example.py is still the only script that shows up. I have five other scripts in that folder.

I see it mentions lookups\custom folder\ and my python scripts are in the location of the supplied sample python script:

C:\Program Files (x86)\PRTG Network Monitor\Custom Sensors\python\

Just double-checking if that folder is the correct location for my python (the same location as the sample). Thanks again Benjamin

Created on Jul 17, 2020 5:21:07 PM

Votes:

Rob,

Can you try restarting the PRTG Core Server service?

Which version of PRTG are you presently running?

Benjamin Day
[Paessler Support]

Created on Jul 20, 2020 5:25:47 PM by  Benjamin Day [Paessler Support] (1,441) 2 1

Votes:

Hi Benjamin, I restarted PRTG Core Server service and still see only the sensor_example.py file. Is there another location that the scripts might exist? Thanks! We are running PRTG Network Monitor 20.2.59.1689 x64

Created on Jul 21, 2020 11:54:22 AM

Votes:

We are running PRTG Network Monitor 20.2.59.1689 x64. Restarting services did not make a difference. I still only see the sensor_example.py in the pull-down. Thanks again for the help here.

Created on Jul 21, 2020 11:59:02 AM

Votes:

i'm running a cluster and needed to copy the scripts to all the nodes in the cluster. Thanks!

Created on Jul 21, 2020 12:22:23 PM

Votes:

Rob,

Yes, you will need to copy this to the failover as well.

Benjamin Day
[Paessler Support]

Created on Jul 21, 2020 4:16:56 PM by  Benjamin Day [Paessler Support] (1,441) 2 1

Votes:

Thanks Benjamin! this worked once copied to all the nodes in the cluster. Rob

Created on Jul 21, 2020 6:07:07 PM

Votes:

Hi,

This is also an issue for me, but I am running my Core in standalone configuration, also rebooting is not an option as we are using PRTG to monitor our clients networking estates monitored by us.

Please let me know if this has yet been resolve, thank you.

Kind Regards, Mervin

Created on Jun 13, 2022 9:11:14 AM

Votes:

Mervin,

Did using the option to reload file and lookup lists not resolve the file?

Benjamin Day
[Paessler Support]

Created on Jun 13, 2022 5:00:57 PM by  Benjamin Day [Paessler Support] (1,441) 2 1

Votes:

Benjamin,

I managed to understand my mistake - I erroneously did not add the script to the remote probe that the network device is polling to and then managed to add it to that remote probe and then reloaded the file and lookup lists, then that resolved my issue. I would recommend anyone reading this try before following my mistake of asking.

Created on Jun 14, 2022 2:16:20 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.