What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

IPFIX 315

Votes:

Hi PRTG team, I am testing IPFIX with Cisco NCS 5001 which only supports the IPFIX 315 format to send information to the collector, and I have configured the router as Cisco information guide and validation commands, but PRTG custom IPFIX sensor is not shown active. I've tested that scenario with Testing NetFlow (of PRTG), which does shows information about the flows, but the IPFIX PRTG sensor doesn't work.

Could you confirm me, if PRTG supports IPFIX 315?

Thank you very much

Antonio

ipfix-315 prtg sensor

Created on Jul 17, 2020 9:12:25 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hi there,

I checked our remarks and found no limitation in ipfix format definition. Therefore, please let me know whether the packets are sent to the probe where the Sensor is added. In addition, please validate if the Sensor is added to the Probe device.
Please note that a flow Sensor which is not added to the probe device, has a filter which is automatically added so that only traffic regarding the parent device is displayed. This could explain the behavior of the Sensor.

Created on Jul 20, 2020 7:30:59 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks for your answer. The side of NCS5001 I configured the router based on following cisco guide https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/iosxr/ncs5000/system-monitoring/71x/b-system-monitoring-cg-ncs5000-71x/m-ipfix-315.pdf, that speaks about Implementing IPFIX 315.

The router shows the output about flows, but the customized IPFIX PRTG sensor shows unknown status and maintains at gray color with a question mark (?).

Thank you very much

Created on Jul 23, 2020 9:56:54 PM

Votes:

Hi there,

Thank you for the update.

Please check whether the netflow tester also displays decoded flows. Only then, PRTG is able to process the information. Furthermore, do you have multiple Flow Sensors on one port. If so, please choose another port for this Sensor.

Created on Jul 24, 2020 6:42:40 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.