What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Additional Sensors after Migration

Votes:

We migrated our PRTG to a VM last week, did everything by the KB PRTG made for Migration. After booting up the new PRTG VM Server we noticed our Sensor count had went from (5) Warning Sensors, (+-800) Good Sensors, and a few yet to be configured paused sensors, to (700) Good Sensors, and (515) Paused Sensors, (200) Down Sensors.

I have already tried to delete the "PRTG Graph Data Cache.dat" file with no results. Also, we have a license count of 1000 Sensors, and I know some will be paused because we are now over that licence count, but the issue seems hard to track down since I cant have all my normal sensors up and running because they're paused either by "Dependency" or "License Count."

Any suggestions?

migration paused sensors

Created on Jul 27, 2020 12:29:05 PM

4 Replies

Votes:

Hi there,

please note that PRTG pauses random Sensors because of the "License Count". If Sensors are pause due to the "License Count", you need to pause them manually (more then required). Afterwards, you can resume the Sensors you need.

Created on Jul 27, 2020 12:59:45 PM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Votes:

But that doesn't solve the issue of these 500+ sensors that were added. We essentially went from 850 Sensors up to 1400+ Sensors, from copying the PRTG Network Monitor Database onto the new VM.

Created on Jul 27, 2020 1:05:47 PM

Votes:

I noticed that and have attempted that. I still have additional sensors that weren't on the original PRTG Monitoring file. For example my 48 port switches now show a sensor for EVERY port. Whereas my old server only showed the ports I needed to monitor (about 12).

I will stress that this isn't an issue with License count, I understand that aspect. I need to know why when I copied the database, and it added extra sensors and my old Ping sensors for servers and switches.

My switches (which are currently pinging and online) are showing a Down status.

Created on Jul 27, 2020 2:09:59 PM

Votes:

Hi Tyler,

Thank you for the update.

Please let me know whether you installed the new PRTG without an initial auto discovery or if you have scheduled auto discovery?
If you run the prtg installer without the parameter /NoInitialAutoDisco=1, PRTG performs a scan of your network and add devices and sensors which are possible. This could explain the additional sensors.

Created on Jul 28, 2020 5:50:29 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.