What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How to set ping sensor to send notifications if machine restarts

Votes:

I would like to receive notifications for machine restarts using ping sensor.

ping prtg prtg-network-monitor

Created on Jul 27, 2020 9:19:25 PM

13 Replies

Votes:

In this case, I recommend to configure a "State Trigger" in the "notification trigger" tab of the Ping Sensor. In this case, you can configure the trigger so that you will receive a notification if the Sensor is "Down" and one notification if the Sensor is "Up" again.

Created on Jul 28, 2020 7:17:22 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Thank you for your reply Mr.Mortiz

I set trigger as you said and set notification to send when machine goes "Down", But, when I restart the machine Ping Sensor is staying in "Up state" only. I am using PRTG version 20.3.60.1362. Before that, Its not sending notification from last 6 days. Before, It used to send notifications fine when machine restarts.

Created on Jul 28, 2020 2:34:52 PM

Votes:

Hi there,

if the device is offline, the ping sensor shouldn't be able to ping the device. Please check if you use a 30s scanning interval. In addition, please check if you can manually ping the device during the restart.

Created on Jul 29, 2020 6:06:26 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Votes:

When i restart machine and check the ping manually ... I see 3 to 5 "request timed out" messages, But the same time ping sensor showing "up state".

ping settings for server:

Ping Timeout(Sec): 1 Packet Size(Bytes): 32 Ping Method: Send multiple ping requests Ping Count: 1 Ping Delay(ms): 1

Created on Jul 29, 2020 5:31:43 PM

Votes:

I suspect that the restart of the device is faster than the scanning interval of the Sensor. Pleas check the scanning interval.

Created on Jul 30, 2020 6:39:55 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi, Scanning interval already set to 30 seconds. thats the minimum i see. is there any chance to set it for 10 sec?.-Than you.

Created on Jul 30, 2020 1:59:02 PM

Votes:

Please note that any scanning interval below 30s is not supported. However it's possible to configure new scanning interval via "Setup > System Administration > Monitoring". Afterwards, you can select the scanning interval in your Sensor settings.

Created on Jul 31, 2020 6:54:07 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Votes:

If I set to 10 sec and change the scanning interval in sensor settings.. Shall I still the alerts..?

Created on Aug 18, 2020 6:12:14 PM

Votes:

As soon as the Sensors goes down and the configured time in the notification trigger is passed, a notification will be triggered.

Created on Aug 19, 2020 7:17:37 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thank you for your reply. You said "5 sec" scanning does not support. Is it in PRTG free version and PRTG paid version too?

I set the ping sensor scanning interval to "10 sec". And, I will check that will it send alerts on production systems when they restarts as I have scheduled downtime this weekend.

I will also check that the restart of the devices are faster than the scanning interval of the Sensor. -Thank you.

Is there any other way to check and get notifications if machine reboots?

Thank you once again.

Created on Aug 19, 2020 5:49:12 PM

Votes:

A scanning interval of 5sec is not support, but possible. Therefore you can try to use the scanning interval. If you want to be notified very fast, you can also decrease the notification trigger time to 10s or less. E.g. "If the Sensor is down for 5sec, trigger notification XXXXX"

This is the best way to monitor a restart

Created on Aug 20, 2020 6:40:07 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Current my ping settings:

Ping Timeout        : 2 sec
  Ping Packet Size    : 32 bytes
  Ping Method          : Send Multiple Ping Requests

Ping Count            : 5 
  Ping Delay            : 5  msec

Scanning Interval   : 10 sec

If a Sensor Query Fails : Set Sensor to Down Immediately

Current my Notification Trigger Settings:

State Trigger:  When sensor state is "DOWN" for at least "3 seconds", perform "Send Email alert"
                       When sensor state is "DOWN" for at least "300 seconds", perform "No Email alert"
                       When sensor leaves down state after a notification was triggered, perform "Send Email alert"

With all the above settings ;; Still I am failing to get " System restart alert".

Created on Aug 20, 2020 3:18:02 PM

Last change on Aug 21, 2020 8:16:19 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Votes:

According to these settings, you should receive a notification. If you don't see "Notification Trigger acitvated" in the "log" tab of your Ping Sensor, please wirte an email to "[email protected]" with the ID "PAE2017950" in the subject for further troubleshooting.

Created on Aug 21, 2020 8:17:59 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.