New Question

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use.
Easy to manage.

200.000 administrators have chosen PRTG to monitor their network. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free PRTG
Download >>

What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general. You are invited to get involved by asking and answering questions!

Learn more

Top Tags

View all Tags

How to set ping sensor to send notifications if machine restarts

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

I would like to receive notifications for machine restarts using ping sensor.

ping prtg prtg-network-monitor

Created on Jul 27, 2020 9:19:25 PM by  Shivak3 (0) 1

7 Replies

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

In this case, I recommend to configure a "State Trigger" in the "notification trigger" tab of the Ping Sensor. In this case, you can configure the trigger so that you will receive a notification if the Sensor is "Down" and one notification if the Sensor is "Up" again.

Created on Jul 28, 2020 7:17:22 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

Hi Thank you for your reply Mr.Mortiz

I set trigger as you said and set notification to send when machine goes "Down", But, when I restart the machine Ping Sensor is staying in "Up state" only. I am using PRTG version 20.3.60.1362. Before that, Its not sending notification from last 6 days. Before, It used to send notifications fine when machine restarts.

Created on Jul 28, 2020 2:34:52 PM by  Shivak3 (0) 1

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

Hi there,

if the device is offline, the ping sensor shouldn't be able to ping the device. Please check if you use a 30s scanning interval. In addition, please check if you can manually ping the device during the restart.

Created on Jul 29, 2020 6:06:26 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

When i restart machine and check the ping manually ... I see 3 to 5 "request timed out" messages, But the same time ping sensor showing "up state".

ping settings for server:

Ping Timeout(Sec): 1 Packet Size(Bytes): 32 Ping Method: Send multiple ping requests Ping Count: 1 Ping Delay(ms): 1

Created on Jul 29, 2020 5:31:43 PM by  Shivak3 (0) 1

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

I suspect that the restart of the device is faster than the scanning interval of the Sensor. Pleas check the scanning interval.

Created on Jul 30, 2020 6:39:55 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

Hi, Scanning interval already set to 30 seconds. thats the minimum i see. is there any chance to set it for 10 sec?.-Than you.

Created on Jul 30, 2020 1:59:02 PM by  Shivak3 (0) 1

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

Please note that any scanning interval below 30s is not supported. However it's possible to configure new scanning interval via "Setup > System Administration > Monitoring". Afterwards, you can select the scanning interval in your Sensor settings.

Created on Jul 31, 2020 6:54:07 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Please log in or register to enter your reply.

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.