What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Enhancement -Add ping trigger to root or specific trigger to group

Votes:

I would like all groups to inherit a trigger from root. I also have groups that are not so critical and i would like to put a trigger on the group that gets distributed to only to that group. Being able to use inheritance would make it easier to put items into maintenance and make changes in mass easier.

change-trigger inheritance ping

Created on Jul 29, 2020 1:33:47 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hi there,

This is all possible. Make sure to add a Notification on Root level, now you're able to inherit this trigger down to every object underneath. In order to have a different trigger for a specific object, break the inheritance and define a new one.

Please find more information here:
https://www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg/inheritance_of_settings

Kind regards,
Andreas Günther
Tech Support, Paessler AG

[email protected]

Created on Jul 30, 2020 10:32:29 AM by  Andreas Günther [Paessler Support]

Votes:

i can only find a state trigger at the root level. i want a ping trigger at the root level that would be inherited. I read the link provided + another link and it looks like i may be able to do what i want with library setting. is that what you were talking about in the above reply?

Created on Jul 30, 2020 12:30:01 PM

Votes:

Hi there,

Yes, the State Trigger is the correct one.

Now all you need is a PING sensor on all of your devices. So in case the PING sensor goes down when the device isn't reachable, the Trigger gets activated and a Notification is sent. You're able to inherit this setting to all of your objects within the device tree.

For mass changes there is also the multi edit feature: https://www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg/multi_edit_lists

Does this help?

Kind regards,
Andreas Günther
Tech Support, Paessler AG

[email protected]

Created on Jul 31, 2020 10:41:40 AM by  Andreas Günther [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.