What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

DOCKER CONTAINER STATUS SENSOR

Votes:

Will this sensor ever come out of BETA, and any idea when it will? Also, reading the BETA disclaimer also saps me of confidence about this sensor even though the PRTG website proudly claims to support containers/dockers.

forgive my directness. need more sleep.

container docker prtg sensor

Created on Jul 30, 2020 7:40:30 PM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi Tolu,

I spoke to our development about the sensor. It seems as we start over with an entirely new version of the sensor but not removing the BETA flag on the current one.

The Docker Container Sensor is working but currently limited, because it might break in case of changes with the Docker Container itself. As Docker becomes more and more important to us, it does not feel right to simply remove a BETA flag now and maybe publish an entirely new sensor in a couple of months.

Best,
Sebastian

Created on Aug 4, 2020 12:29:00 PM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

5 Replies

Votes:

Hi Tolu,

Let me check that for you. I'll update the thread once I got a valid response.

Best,
Sebastian

Created on Jul 31, 2020 11:01:24 AM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi Tolu,

I spoke to our development about the sensor. It seems as we start over with an entirely new version of the sensor but not removing the BETA flag on the current one.

The Docker Container Sensor is working but currently limited, because it might break in case of changes with the Docker Container itself. As Docker becomes more and more important to us, it does not feel right to simply remove a BETA flag now and maybe publish an entirely new sensor in a couple of months.

Best,
Sebastian

Created on Aug 4, 2020 12:29:00 PM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello Sebastian,

Thanks for the feedback.

To be clear am I correct in assuming the below points:

1. The Docker Container Sensor works but has limitations currently.

2. A New version of the Docker Container Sensor is in the pipeline and should be released in a couple of months.

3. The BETA flag is affixed to sensors that potentially are subject to changes from the technology vendors e.g. AWS, Docker, etc

Kind regards

Created on Aug 4, 2020 12:40:58 PM

Votes:

Yes, that's a pretty accurate summarization.

Created on Aug 5, 2020 6:25:37 PM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Votes:

thank you.

much appreciated.

Created on Aug 5, 2020 6:38:37 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.