What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

HTTP on local devices

Votes:

Hi Team,

I am having trouble with the HTTP sensor on a local device. I am using it to ensure we can log into a power system or switch but I periodically get error on the sensor. Sometimes it will be fine and sometimes it will error. If i reset the device it will work for a while before the error occurs again. My device is http:
10.96.70.134 I have looked at the description of SNI etc but can't work it out. Please can you help with the settings?

Cheers

eltek http-sensor local-network

Created on Aug 3, 2020 4:17:27 AM

9 Replies

Votes:

Hi there,

Please let me know which certain error message is displayed.

Created on Aug 3, 2020 9:56:58 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks for the quick reply. The error I am seeing is:

Failed to establish secure connection [Step 0] Error connecting with SSL. EOF was observed that violates the protocol [Step 1] Error connecting with SSL. EOF was observed that violates the protocol [Step 2] Error connecting with SSL. EOF was observed that violates the protocol [Step 3] Error connecting with SSL. EOF was observed that violates the protocol [Step 4] Error connecting with SSL. EOF was observed that violates the protocol [Step 5] Error connecting with SSL. EOF was observed that violates the protocol [Unsecure] IOHandler value is not valid

Created on Aug 4, 2020 12:47:09 AM

Last change on Aug 4, 2020 7:21:27 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi

I have several of these devices and have looked at another one that was paused. I am also seeing error:

Connection reset by peer (socket error # 10054)

Thanks

Created on Aug 4, 2020 12:49:09 AM

Votes:

Hi Hayden,

Thank you for the update.

Please enter as SNI the address of your target device without "HTTP:/ /" and check whether this works.

In addition, please note that the error Connection reset by peer (socket error # 10054) occurs when another device or the target device refuses the connection. Therefore, please check if a firewall or the target device blocks the traffic.

Created on Aug 4, 2020 7:26:45 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Last change on Aug 4, 2020 7:27:25 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi, I do not know what the SNI is for this device. To log into it i simply browse to the IP address of the device. I do not need to add HTTP to connect. PLease can you provide more information? I can see when I log into the device that the connection is not secure. I have 12 of these in total and 8 out of 12 are currently OK with 4 in error. After a long period of time some of these that are currently working will error and I have to reset the controller for it to work again.

Thanks

Created on Aug 5, 2020 12:42:53 AM

Votes:

Please enter simply the address which you use in the browser as SNI (without HTTPS:/ /). We made the experience that this helps in many cases.

Created on Aug 5, 2020 1:50:26 PM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi again,

Without changing anything some of these sensors are no longer reporting an error state. Please can you tell me from above where I put the SNI into the sensor configuration?

Created on Aug 6, 2020 4:08:32 AM

Votes:

The SNI is entered in the Sensor settings.

Created on Aug 7, 2020 5:43:27 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Ok. Because this sensor works for some of the time and then fails I don't believe it is this.

I suspect the HTTP sensor is opening an HTTP session every time it scans the device. Because the we interface on this type of device is not commonly used I suspect there are a limited number of times a single device can open these sessions. I have been scanning every 30 seconds but I believe this is too often. Once this sensor fails I believe there is a timeout where it resets the sessions and then comes alive again. Then the sensor can be turned back on again and it will work for a while longer.

I have changed by scan time to 1 hour and will monitor to see if this fixes the issue.

Created on Aug 7, 2020 5:47:52 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.