What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Combine two sensors and using lookup files

Votes:

I want to combine two different sensors and also use a lookup file in the combined sensor. The Sensor Factory would be good to combine two sensors, but as far as I know, the Sensor Factory is not able to use lookup files. Is there any other sensor, that is able to combine two sensors and also use a lookup file?

custom-sensor lookup lookups prtg sensor sensor-factory

Created on Aug 4, 2020 6:54:01 AM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi Sam,

The only probable way would be a custom PowerShell Sensor that retrieves values from these Sensors and actually have them combined internally. Then you could use lookup files within that Sensor, but you'd have to update the script in order to add or remove source Sensors. Further details on this can be found in Additional Sensor Types.

Created on Aug 6, 2020 6:23:27 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Last change on Aug 6, 2020 6:23:41 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

4 Replies

Votes:

The only other Sensor would be the Business Process Sensor, but you cannot change it's output values to match your requirements I'm afraid.

Created on Aug 5, 2020 6:40:49 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello Stephan,

thank you for the answer. So you think, that there is no way to combine two sensors in one and also use a lookup file? In this case I would just use this reply for another question in this context. I wanted to use the Factory Sensor to combine two SNMP Custom Table Sensor because I have values in two different SNMP tables. Now the Factory Sensor is no option anymore. So I thought about another solution and found the SNMP Custom Sensor. This Sensor would solve my problems, because it is able to use a lookup file. But for this sensor I need to use the OIDs of the values. These OIDs have multiple results. Now I don't know if I can actually work with these multiple results and the SNMP Custom Sensor. Is there any way to do that?

Created on Aug 5, 2020 2:46:05 PM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi Sam,

The only probable way would be a custom PowerShell Sensor that retrieves values from these Sensors and actually have them combined internally. Then you could use lookup files within that Sensor, but you'd have to update the script in order to add or remove source Sensors. Further details on this can be found in Additional Sensor Types.

Created on Aug 6, 2020 6:23:27 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Last change on Aug 6, 2020 6:23:41 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Stephan,

thank you for the reply. I will try to use such a custom PowerShell Sensor.

Created on Aug 10, 2020 8:47:43 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.