What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Find out a Link Capacity

Votes:

Dear Support Team,
Hello
Why don't snmp traffic sensors determine how much capacity a link has?
They just monitor how much traffic there is on a traffic link right now.
How can i find out that about an interface or a port channel or a VLAN or e.g.?
Thanks a lot

capacity interface port-channel snmp-traffic vlan

Created on Aug 4, 2020 12:40:15 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello Hossein,

Thank you for your KB-post.

Please note that the SNMP Sensor will only monitor the current bandwidth (speed) of the incoming and outgoing traffic. I am afraid that it isn't really possible to determine the maximum capacity of a link, as this would require burst transfers to saturate the line (in order to determine the peak) and this would, in turn, cause issues with the connection due to the line being blocked by the bursts themselves.

Best regards

Created on Aug 6, 2020 10:46:27 AM by  Isidora Jeremic [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I accidentally found out that i can use "ifspeed" in "Port Name Template" in "SNMP COMPATIBILITY OPTIONS" that gives me the interface (or LoopBack or PortChannel or VLAN) capacity easily!

Created on Aug 9, 2020 1:10:15 PM

Votes:

Hi Hossein,

Thanks for pointing this out. I think we are a bit un-clear with your question earlier but glad you figure it out. :)

Best regards, Chan Siau Hen Technical Support Team

Created on Aug 11, 2020 5:25:12 AM by  Chan Siau Hen [Paessler Technical Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.