What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Get or convert a string value from an OID in the SNMP Custom Advanced Sensor

Votes:

I try to get an OID string-value into the Custom Advanced Sensor. As I read before, it should not be possible to get string values directly into the sensor. So I implemented the OID into the name of the sensor. This worked pretty fine, but I realized, that the value does not change itself, after it was changed on the device. That seems to be a problem. So is there any other way, to get the current string value in the SNMP Custom Advanced Sensor or convert the numeric value, that the sensor gets by default?

custom-snmp-sensor mib oid prtg snmp

Created on Aug 6, 2020 9:17:37 AM

2 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello,

string values cannot be directly processed, as channels only contain numeric data. You have two options:

• If the string contains a number which you want to get, instead the SNMP Custom String Sensor and use the option to extract a number out of the string. The result must be a scalar, no other formats are supported.

Created on Aug 6, 2020 6:47:58 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi,

I really appreciated your reply. The first option just showed me how to solve my problem on another way.

Created on Aug 10, 2020 9:03:52 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.