What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

NetFlow Data Shows Domains Instead of IPs

Votes:

Hi Guys,

So I recently downloaded and installed PRTG in one of my machines. My aim is to see who is downloading how much data and who is consuming most of the bandwidth. After a bit of research I found that the best feature to use in my siatuation is NetFlow. I Have also configured NetFlow V9.

I have a Mikrotik router as gateway. To this router I have 3 switches connected and all the users are connected to these switches. The 3 ports to which these switches are connected are part of a "bridge" virtual interface.

I did 2 things:

1. In the Mikrotik Traffic Flow(NetFlow) configuration I chose my WAN interface to export the flow information to PRTG and monitored the flow information, the problem I faced was in the NetFlow Top Talkers and Top Connections data Source IP and Destination IPs are some external domain address like for example: map2.hwcdn.net or deploy.static.akamaitechnologies.com against my router IP or vice versa.

So I thought this is happening because in Traffic Flow(NetFlow) configuration in my Mikrotik I chose my WAN interface.

2. So I changed the interface in my Mikrotik to "bridge" interface where all my switches are connected. Sadly, I still see the same information.

I tested by downloading a 100MB test file from my computer to see whether it will show my computer's local IP in the top talkers list but instead it shows some external domain against my router IP. I want to see the local IP of users who are doing most of the downloads/uploads.

How can I solve this issue?

bandwidth mikrotik netflow-v9 prtg

Created on Aug 11, 2020 6:47:18 AM

Replies

Nobody has replied yet

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.