What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

New Device Notification

Votes:

I want to be notified (by SMS or email) when the Auto Discovery process picks up a new device. How to I configure the PRTG Network Monitor to do this?

device discovery notifications

Created on Aug 11, 2020 8:13:49 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hi there,

this is not possible, since all notification needs to be triggered by a notification trigger. The only thing I can think about is a scheduled script which checks the number of Sensors via an API call.

As a side note, please refer to the following article which explains why we can't really offer any customization help for PRTG: https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/78334-what-is-your-position-towards-customizing-prtg

Created on Aug 12, 2020 10:32:41 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Last change on Mar 10, 2022 2:29:51 PM by  Florian Weik (1,927) 2 2

Votes:

According to the manual this seems to be possible: PRTG creates a notifying ticket when at least one new device or sensor has been discovered

Sensors | Multi Channel Sensors | Tools | Notifications

Kind regards,

[[http://prtgtoolsfamily.com]] PRTG Tools Family

Created on Aug 14, 2020 1:51:50 PM

Votes:

I can confirm that PRTG creates a ticket for every Auto Discovery. However, you will only receive an email if you have enabled the notification for tickets in "Setup | Account Settings | My Account, section Ticket System".

Created on Aug 17, 2020 6:08:47 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.