What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Grouping sensors into services

Votes:

I've been playing around with PRTG for a couple of days and have run into a configuration that we need, but I cannot figure out how to create it efficient. We need to create services that consists of sensors from multiple devices. For example, a customer has an application that consists of two web server, two app servers and a database. If the database is down, the app is down. However, the app is only down if a specific application on both app servers or both web servers are down. If, for example, the disk space or CPU sensor is at warning because of high use, this would have zero effect on the service, even if it happened on both app server. In other words, services consist of groups of sensors and not groups of devices.

I looked at libraries, but that seems to be a visualization tool and not an operation tool. We need to be able to send notification/start actions based on the *collection* of sensors and not individual sensors. Further we need to display the Service in a dashboard and the Status of the service needs to be visible. We also need to be able to sends notifications based on the services and not individual sensors.

Any help would be appreciated.

prtg- sensor service

Created on Sep 2, 2020 12:56:22 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hi there,

Libraries are indeed not suited for your needs. I would like to recommend checking out two sensors:

The Sensor Factory sensor lets you monitor entire business processes that involve several components.You can define one or more channels that combine monitoring results from other sensors or devices. You can create a customized sensor with channels based on data from other sensors ("source sensors").

And the Business Process sensor gives you a summarized status of entire business processes while monitoring several process components.This means that you can create a customized sensor with channels based on data from other sensors ("source sensors") that are specific to your network.

Here you'll find more information about these sensors: https://www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg/sensor_factory_sensor https://www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg/business_process_sensor

Kind regards,
Andreas Günther
Tech Support, Paessler AG

[email protected]

Created on Sep 3, 2020 7:26:06 AM by  Andreas Günther [Paessler Support]

Last change on Sep 3, 2020 7:26:45 AM by  Andreas Günther [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.