What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Paused sensor overwriting "Down" in a Factory sensor to just "Warning"

Votes:

I monitor the "UP" status of a few devices with a single factory sensor, so if one of the devices goes down the Factory sensor goes to a "Down".

The Problem is, when one of the devices is Paused, since I currently do not care about the status of that particular device, a important "Down" status will be overwritten with a "Warning" status. In the manual is written, every status that is not down is interpreted as "Up"

factory-sensor paused-sensor warning

Created on Sep 9, 2020 1:22:41 PM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi there,

I tried to recreate the situation and could not recreate the situation. The Sensor changed to display the message, but in the next interval the correct state was displayed.
If this is not the case in your PRTG, you can also try to use the Business process Sensor.

Created on Sep 10, 2020 2:10:49 PM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

5 Replies

Votes:

Hi there,

Thank you for the KB post. Please let us know the certain Factory definition which you use in the settings of the Sensor.

Created on Sep 9, 2020 2:04:20 PM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I.

Channel Definition:
#1:Test 100 Status Definition:
status(1324) OR status(4321)

II.

Channel Definition: {{{#1:Test channel(1234,0)

1. 2:Test2 channel(4321,0) }}}
    Status Handling: Show down status when one or more sources are in down status

Both times, but the other possible option did not change anything:

If a Source Sensor has no Data: Calculate the channels and use zero as a source value

In both versions if Sensor #1234 is down and Sensor #4321 is paused, the factory sensor is in the warning state: (At least one source is paused or has no data.)

PRTG Version: 20.3.61.1649+

Created on Sep 10, 2020 11:34:55 AM

Last change on Sep 10, 2020 2:07:55 PM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi there,

I tried to recreate the situation and could not recreate the situation. The Sensor changed to display the message, but in the next interval the correct state was displayed.
If this is not the case in your PRTG, you can also try to use the Business process Sensor.

Created on Sep 10, 2020 2:10:49 PM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Moin,

Thank you for the Reply, I was simply too impatient. It worked the way you described.

Created on Sep 11, 2020 9:46:54 AM

Votes:

Hi there,

Thank you for the feedback.

Have a nice day!

Created on Sep 11, 2020 10:52:23 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.