What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Can you subscribe to sensor change events?

Votes:

I there a way to subscribe to changes in sensor values? e.g. be notified when disk space %, or cpu %, changes? Do they raise events you can subscribe to?

Instead of checking many 1,000s of sensors every 20 seconds to see if they have changed (and find most haven't), it would be much more efficient (and quicker) to just be notified of the ones that have when they do.

I've been reading through about notifications, triggers, and such like, but its not clear if that is what they are talking about.

I'm using the PRTGApi to build a C# application to do process the changes.

thanks.

c# change events prtgapi sensor

Created on Sep 12, 2020 2:32:47 PM

3 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello,

In PRTG, you can configure Change triggers under the "Notification Triggers" tab of certain sensors only. Please, take a look at the Change trigger type right here: Add Change Trigger

However, you can't configure sensors to trigger notification when their value(s) change, the impact on the performance would be very high as PRTG would have to check the values of a lot of sensors.

Kind regards.

Created on Sep 14, 2020 2:41:05 PM by  Florian Lesage [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Ok, thank you. I will check that out.

I didn't mean for PRTG to check when the values of the devices being monitored change, I meant when PRTG updates the value of a sensor it is monitoring (whenever that may be), does it raise an event you can subscribe to, to then do your own processing to pass on that change? (which i think is answered by your first sentence)

Created on Sep 14, 2020 7:13:43 PM

Votes:

Hello,

• I didn't mean for PRTG to check when the values of the devices being monitored change

I understand what you would like to do, however when a sensor gets a new value, the PRTG Core server still has to check this value and trigger the notification(s) accordingly (whatever the notification trigger is).

• Does it raise an event you can subscribe to, to then do your own processing to pass on that change?

As you already mentioned in your response, the Change trigger is the solution to your need.

Created on Sep 15, 2020 6:13:23 AM by  Florian Lesage [Paessler Support]

Last change on Sep 15, 2020 6:13:38 AM by  Florian Lesage [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.