What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Security form Remote Probe

Votes:

Hi, I would like to know what type of security is being carried out between remote Probe and Probe Core. TLS? Whats version?

core-probe remote-probe security tls

Created on Sep 17, 2020 8:45:06 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello Thiago,

Thank you very much for your question.

The Core Server - Remote Probe connection is SSL encrypted using TLS 1.2 The entire connection is handled completely by PRTG.
A useful source of further information might be this thread:
What security features does PRTG include?

Best,
Sebastian

Created on Sep 18, 2020 12:52:08 PM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Just checking if I am missing something, we ran a scan using https://testssl.sh/ on our Core Server connecting to port 23570 (Cluster communication), we are running version 21.3.70.1629, we have Connection Security set to High security (TLS 1.2) in the Probe Connection Settings.

TestSSl came back and said TLS 1 and TLS 1.1 where offered and it was able to connect using them.

Created on Jan 17, 2022 8:27:13 PM

Votes:

Hi Adam,

First I suggest to check on this resource:
PRTG Network Monitor security features

We have implemented TLS 1.2 with Forward Secrecy, and made this mandatory for all connections.

Can you please let me know how you've achieved to connect via TLS 1.0?

Best,
Sebastian

Created on Jan 19, 2022 11:42:40 AM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.