What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Configure SNMP Library Sensor to not add module name to Custom Advanced sensors

Votes:

I've implemented SNMP and a custom embedded device, and trying to set up PRTG to monitor it.

When I load my MIB file through an SNMP Library sensor, all my string OIDs get created with separate SNMP Custom String sensors, and my numeric OIDs get grouped under their parent OID as SNMP Custom Advanced sensors (see https://www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg/snmp_library_sensor). There are a couple of items I'd like to change in this setup if possible, but I don't see how to do this.

1. The Custom Advanced sensor always gets the MIB Module name prepended to the sensor name (this does not happen for the Custom String sensor). I'd like to not include the module name, and just have the OID name from the MIB file.

2. If there is only 1 numeric OID under a group, I'd like to simply use an SNMP Custom sensor (removing the extra group level)

3. If I have both string and numeric OIDs under a common group, I'd like them to all be grouped together as channels under the same sensor. As far as I can tell, this is only possible for numeric values and not string values.

All my OIDs are simple scalar values - no tables or sequences at the moment. I'm relatively new to implementing SNMP, so if there's something I should change about my implementation or my MIB file, I'm open to it.

mib prtg snmp-library

Created on Sep 18, 2020 3:07:07 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hi,

Let me try to answer your questions step by step.

1. If you know where the group name is located in the affected mib file, then you can edit the group name within our MIB Importer. You can do it before you import the mib into PRTG.
Please note that this is customizing and that we don't offer support or help for it.

2.Same as point 1 it is not supported but you can extract the number and deselect it in the MIB Importer. Afterwards you have the opportunity to create the SNMP Custom Sensor with only the desired OID.

3.This is correct this is only possible for numeric values and not string values. We cannot give a workaround here.

Kind regards,
Marijan Horsky, Team Tech Support

Created on Sep 21, 2020 12:28:26 PM by  Marijan Horsky [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks for the response. Regarding the group name change, my issue is actually the Agent name, not the Group name. When I import the sensors from the oidlib, the Agent and Group names are appended together on my SNMP Custom Advanced Sensors. I'd like my sensor name to only include the Group name, and not the Agent name. The Group name itself is fine.

For example, in the screenshot below, PRTG creates a SNMP Custom Advanced Sensor with a name of "MY-VERY-LONG-AGENT-NAME myGroupName", with a channel of "myOIDName". I would prefer the sensor name of simply be "myGroupName", with a channel of "myOIDName".

MIB Importer

Regards,

Brandon Dybala

Created on Sep 21, 2020 4:03:41 PM

Votes:

Hi,

As mentioned, we cannot give you support on this one, as this is customizing which could lead to an issue within your mib import. If you want to, then you can test some configurations in your mib and import the files more than one time.

Kind regards,
Marijan Horsky, Team Tech Support

Created on Sep 22, 2020 5:34:01 AM by  Marijan Horsky [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.