What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Issue with WMI after windows lock up

Votes:

HI,

I'm having weird issue with a two different Windows 2016 std servers. If for some reasons windows lock up then i reboot system but after the reboot all wmi sensors are in error PE015. I tried several reboot with no luck. No problems occurs with WMITester. The only way i solve this is by removing completly the VM from PRTG then create it with the exact sensors.

I did not found any KB about this on the web so is there anyone that solved this king of recurring issue?

Regards Chris

lockup windows wmi-sensors

Created on Sep 21, 2020 1:37:51 PM

6 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

Thank you for your post.

Did you try restarting the probe that runs the WMI sensors?

Kind regards,
Sasa Ignjatovic, Tech Support Team

Created on Sep 22, 2020 8:05:56 AM by  Sasa Ignjatovic [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi, I did not tried this because the probe server is part of a bigger organisation that i dont have control on so i cannot do this. I dont see how this could solve the issue the probe is monotoring over 300 other devices without issue.

Regards

Created on Sep 22, 2020 7:00:07 PM

Votes:

We have the same problem, i think this is some how related to Windows Server updates. After the last update installation and reboot, all our server WMI sensors turned down and we got the same error code PE015.

BR.

Juha

Created on Sep 23, 2020 6:21:43 AM

Votes:

Hello,

You could try restarting the "PRTG Probe" service. If you do not have access to the system running the probe, you can restart all of your probes thru the PRTG web interface. For this go to Setup>System Administration>Administrative Tools and click on Go! under "Restart All Probes". The restart of the probe will also reset the WMI connection which may solve the issue.

Created on Sep 23, 2020 9:03:46 AM by  Sasa Ignjatovic [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello,

probe restart done the right way fixed the problem. I just restarted sensors earlier and it didnt help :)

Thank you!

Created on Sep 23, 2020 11:50:42 AM

Votes:

Hi,

Thanks for your replies. I do not have acces to reboot from the console. What i'm stunned is that this problem occurs every month for only two of tousands of VMs. How come we have to reboot the whole PRTG probe for this? Its obvious that the PRTG Probe should detect such thing and act so we dont have to reboot the system. I'm a missing something here? :)

Created on Sep 24, 2020 12:41:38 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.