What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

ScheduledTask2XML can't trigger Remote Registry Service

Votes:

Hello, I have a ScheduledTask2XML Sensor and when I manually start the Remote Registry Service on my Target Machine it works how it should do. The Problem is that the Remote Registry Service will shut down after 10 minutes and the Sensor will show the Error: "Remote Registry Service is not running. Status: Stopped"

The Service has the Startup Type "Automatic (Trigger Start)"

Im not sure if its a problem with PRTG or the configuration on the Target Machine.

with kind regards Thilo v.D.

custom-sensor prtg scheduledtask2xml

Created on Sep 23, 2020 2:00:10 PM

4 Replies

Votes:

Hi Thilo,

This sounds like a local issue with your targeted machine to be honest. If it is not able to keep the service running it doesn't seem like a PRTG issue to me.

What OS is the system? Have you tried looking for updates? What login does the Remote Registry service use?

Best regards,
Sebastian

Created on Sep 24, 2020 12:19:21 PM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello Sebastian,

The Probe runs on Windows Server 2016 and the Remote System runs on Windows Server 2012 R2. The Remote Registry Service is using the 'Local Service' Log On. The Sensor uses a Windows Login with Local Administrator Rights on the Remote Machine.

I set up a new PRTG Probe on the Win 2016 System and moved the Sensor from our old Probe (win2012r2). After that, the problem came up. Even if I move the Sensor back to the old Probe it doesn't work anymore. I didn't change anything on the Remote Machine.

Best regards, Thilo

Created on Sep 25, 2020 6:52:10 AM

Votes:

Hi Thilo,

Would you please reach out via email to [email protected] and refer to this knowledge base thread. I'd like to exchange and review the sensor and system settings of yours which is much easier provided via email than on our knowledge base.

Thank you very much in advance.

Best,
Sebastian

Created on Sep 28, 2020 7:42:29 AM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Thilo (and all other folks who have this problem),

I had a similar problem and solved it this way:

"It may also be necessary to change the following registry key to 1, to disable the idle-stop of the Remote Registry Service"

See: https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/15543-how-do-i-enable-the-remote-registry-service-on-a-windows-pc

Regards

Created on Jan 3, 2022 12:59:06 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.