What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

In a VM - PRTG can't start

Votes:

Hii!! So, in a VM of Azure, in the "Internet protocol version 4 (TCP/IPv4) Properties" I change the checkbox of "Use the following DNS server addresses" TO "Obtain DNS server address automatically" and then I screwed up!!

Now I can't get access to my PRTG!! but I have internet, Someone knows how can I get the things just like before? I belive that in the:

"Use the following DNS server addresses" had four zeros ("0.0.0.0") but I can't remember. If try that? Thanks! And, please, help me!! It's urgent.

PS: Do I need to check the option "validate settings upon exit"??

dns internet settings virtual-machine

Created on Sep 28, 2020 1:22:24 AM

2 Replies

Votes:

Hi,

First of all, I suggest you have a good read of this and familiarise yourself with IPv4 addressing. It will save you a lot of headaches in future if you're going to be dealing with them. https://www.cbtnuggets.com/blog/technology/networking/networking-basics-what-is-ipv4-subnetting

Secondly, "0.0.0.0" is not a valid DNS address so I doubt that was what it was previously set to. A common public DNS server to use is Google's, which can be found at 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. Ideally, if you're in a business environment, you'd want to use the local DNS server if one is available. To obtain the address for this, you will need to speak to the network administrator.

Lastly, no, you do not need to check the "Validate Settings" box. It's only there to comfort those who don't know really know what they're doing.

Regards, Sean

Created on Jan 6, 2021 12:25:02 PM

Votes:

I had the same problem and this advice helped me. I express my gratitude! Did you manage to solve it, too? https://www.club3g.com/threads/comptia-a.163657/

Created on May 12, 2021 6:01:53 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.