What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

could not load root certificate when using HTTP Advance sensor via remote probe

Votes:

I am trying to configure a "HTTP Push Data Advanced" sensor with TLS on a device managed by a remote probe.

When starting the sensor, I get the following error:

PRTG could not start the HTTP push receiver. Could not load root certificate. error:0B084002:x509 certificate routines:X509_load_cert_crl_file:system lib (code: PE206) "Could not load root certificate".

As I have not configured any custom certificate, I was under the impression that PRTG should use its embedded certificate. I tested with a similar sensor on a local probe, and it works as expected.

Is there a way to configure the remote probe so it works?

httppush remote-probe ssl

Created on Sep 30, 2020 4:10:23 PM

12 Replies

Votes:

Please check the certificate store on the Windows Server where the Probe runs whether there is a certificate stored. In addition, did you tried to restart the device?

Created on Oct 1, 2020 2:06:21 PM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I have several certificates on windows store, but none that would be explicitely be a prtg one. (I did not change the certificate self-signed shipped with prtg).

When you say "restart the device" you mean restart the host where the remote probe runs?

Created on Oct 1, 2020 3:10:54 PM

Votes:

Yes, I mean the server where the Probe runs. In this way, a new sync with the Core server is triggered which could solve the issue.

Created on Oct 2, 2020 9:03:14 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I have tried to

• restart the probe service
  • restart the server hosting the probe

It does not help, it seems that ssl server on port 5051 fails to start on the probe (telnet localhost 5051 never works).

The error message still is

PRTG could not start the HTTP push receiver. Could not load root certificate. error:0B084002:x509 certificate routines:X509_load_cert_crl_file:system lib (code: PE206)

Not sure if it helps but I have only dh, dh.pen, openssl.cnf and generatedh files in c:\program files (x86)\prtg network monitor\cert. I have try looking at the probe logs, but nothing seems to point to any problem.

Created on Oct 6, 2020 4:07:52 PM

Votes:

Thank you for the feedback. Please try to use the REST Custom Sensor, since this Sensor is quite similar and we noticed that this Sensor works if the HTTP Advanced Sensor has trouble.

Created on Oct 7, 2020 12:30:59 PM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Sorry, but unless I am wrong the "REST Custom" permits to query an HTTP(s) ressource, not receiving sensor data from another source. I am using 20.3.61.1649+ maybe you are talking about another sensor not present in my version.

What I need is the PRTG probe to open an SSL http port on 5051 so I can push json data to update data (I am talking about "HTTP Push Data Advanced" Sensor).

Created on Oct 7, 2020 12:49:47 PM

Votes:

I'm sorry I missed that. Please let me know whether you checked if the port is already take via "netstat -ano" ? In addition, did you tried to open another port since you can change the port in the Sensor settings?

Created on Oct 8, 2020 12:44:30 PM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Port is available. I just tried on another port (5055) and the error is still the same.

Created on Oct 8, 2020 4:31:57 PM

Votes:

Since troubleshooting in the knowledge base is not the best way, please open a support ticket with all available information. You can simply write an email to "[email protected]". Please mention my name so the ticket is assigned to me.

Thank you!

Created on Oct 9, 2020 4:49:14 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi, we have the same issue on Push count sensors. Is there any progress on this issue? Do I need to open a case also? Thanks.

Created on Jun 23, 2021 1:35:20 PM

Votes:

Hi there,

At the moment, we have no known issue in the latest PRTG version which could explain the issue. Therefore, please create a ticket so that we can analyse the issue in more detail.

Created on Jun 28, 2021 8:01:56 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi,

just for the sake of completeness IMHO this error can be solved by copying following files from core server to remote probe and restarting remote probe service.

C:\Program Files (x86)\PRTG Network Monitor\cert\prtg.crt

C:\Program Files (x86)\PRTG Network Monitor\cert\prtg.key

C:\Program Files (x86)\PRTG Network Monitor\cert\root.pem

Created on Sep 16, 2022 10:55:48 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.