What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

monitor data channels configured with HSRP protocol

Votes:

Good afternoon, I need your help, how can I monitor two data channels configured with HSRP protocol, and know when they are switched, which sensor I can use or how I can do it.

Thank you

availability channel prtg

Created on Oct 2, 2020 9:44:37 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hello there,

Thank you very much for your request.

While there are no built-in sensors for this, it should indeed be possible since according to Cisco they have a specific MIB implementation for this. The former link on their website is not reachable anymore, but I was able to find a MIB file here:
http://www.circitor.fr/Mibs/Html/C/CISCO-HSRP-MIB.php
However, you might want to confirm with Cisco that this is the correct MIB file for HSRP monitoring purposes.

In this case, you should be able to deploy sensors by following the appropriate guide (for MIB/Library or via Table sensor (recommended))
Custom Monitoring of Devices via SNMP
What can I monitor with the SNMP Custom Table Sensor?

It also appears as if you can also work with SNMP Traps, which may be easier to configure but less reliable/detailed, I encourage you to use traps in this case only as a last resort:
https://www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg/snmp_trap_receiver_sensor

Best,
Sebastian

Created on Oct 6, 2020 7:25:50 AM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Last change on Oct 6, 2020 7:26:06 AM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.