What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Ping server up/down?

Votes:

I have set up a ping sensor to determine if a server is connected or not. However I now realise the ping is internal and so does not alert if the server is disconnected. I have also set a notification on the sensor's up/down status but this too cannot notify if the server is disconnected. What is the best way to achieve server connection notifications?

connection notifications ping

Created on Oct 5, 2020 2:15:45 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello there,

Thanks for the KB thread.

May I know what server is that? Also, could you explain which connection of the server (from where to where) you want to monitor?

Thanks in advance.

With kind regards,
Chan Siau Hen
Technical Support Team, Paessler AG

Created on Oct 6, 2020 9:11:29 AM by  Chan Siau Hen [Paessler Technical Support]

Votes:

The servers in question are file servers in remote sites and are susceptible to user interference (unplugging mainly). router > switch > server. They have probes on them with HTTP sensor but am trying to set up server-up/server-down alerts.

Created on Oct 6, 2020 11:06:49 AM

Votes:

Hello there,

Thanks for the explanation.

If I understand you correctly, what you mean is the file server losing connectivity to your network(HQ/DC), but still pingable by the remote probe (in branch's LAN), therefore, it's not down by ping sensor.

May I know if your remote probe is also losing connectivity to HQ/DC same time? if yes, you should be notified too. Please correct me if I am wrong.

We also have a Remote Ping Sensor that you can initiate ping from a Windows Server to a target host. Will this help in this case? https://www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg/wmi_remote_ping_sensor

Thanks.

With kind regards,
Chan Siau Hen
Technical Support Team, Paessler AG

Created on Oct 7, 2020 10:52:05 AM by  Chan Siau Hen [Paessler Technical Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.