What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Distinguish between devices based on name

Votes:

Is there a solid way to separate devices, either in groups or any other way, based on their DNS name? Say I have devices named x.A.com and x.B.com in the same subnet, but would like to apply different templates to them and show them on different maps. How do I go about this?

dns groups name prtg

Created on Oct 8, 2020 12:59:52 PM

6 Replies

Votes:

Hi there,

I would recommend to use Libraries for this. With the Libraries feature, you can create special views of your device tree with up-to-date monitoring status information arranged the way you want.

Please note Libraries can't be used in Maps at the moment. As an alternative you may add your sensors by hand to a map.

Kind regards

Felix Wiesneth - Team Tech Support

Created on Oct 9, 2020 2:01:43 PM by  Felix Wiesneth [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks for your response. The problem with this is, the devices require different sets of sensors and since we're talking about a couple of thousand devices, adding them manually isn't an option. This needs to happen automatically so I feel the only way to do this is using Auto-Discovery. I can only run Auto-Discovery per group in the Device Tree, right?

Created on Oct 9, 2020 2:35:36 PM

Votes:

Hi there,

Yes you can run the Auto-Discovery for a certain group. In addition you can run this for a certain IP range or subnet. For every discovery you may choose different device templates. Custom device templates can also be created of own devices. With these templates you can run the discovery with your specific sensors.

Kind regards

Created on Oct 12, 2020 8:20:22 AM by  Felix Wiesneth [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Okay but how exactly do you suggest I run auto-discovery on a group without having to set a IP/DNS range or subnet? Right now, when I set a group for auto-discovery, I'm required to fill in the network information.

Created on Oct 13, 2020 12:01:21 PM

Votes:

Hi there,

For running an "Auto-Discovery" you need to choose one of the following options:

• Class C base IP with start/end (IPv4)
  • List of individual IPs and DNS names (IPv4)
  • IP and subnet (IPv4) IP with octet range (IPv4)
  • List of individual IPs and DNS names (IPv6)
  • Use computers from the Active Directory (maximum 1000 computers)

Other possibilities are not possible at the moment.

Kind regards

Created on Oct 13, 2020 2:34:35 PM by  Felix Wiesneth [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks for your replies Felix.

For the record, I started using the PRTG Powershell API to accomplish this but it's not ideal. I have to create a "staging group" where I add every subnet (thousands of IP's) that gets autodiscovered every night and adds a ping sensor. Then I have to run the script so it moves devices based on name to their specific group. Now I still have to figure if I want to run another auto discovery on their final group with a device template to add sensors or if I use the Powershell API again to add them.

It's a bit finicky.

Created on Dec 2, 2020 1:08:46 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.