What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Dependency vs notification timers

Votes:

In the process of standardizing my notification times, I noticed that I have multiple objects that have the same notification times as the sensor they are dependent upon. Is there an order of operations in how the dependency would trigger versus a notification being sent?

So, if my router goes down and this simultaneously causes me to lose connection to my dependent server and they're both set to trigger at 300 seconds, what happens first? Would the dependency trigger, where I would only receive a notification about the router, or would the notification trigger, where I would get a notice about both server and router?

dependency notifications prtg

Created on Oct 15, 2020 3:58:46 PM

2 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello,

Assuming you have a device "server" witch is dependent on a device "router":

1) Ping is failing for both devices simultaneously.
2) As the ping for "router" failed, the "server" will be paused immediately. As long as a device is paused, the notifications for this device won't be send.
3) If the ping for "router" is still not working after 300 seconds, a notification will be send.
4) As soon as the "router" is reachable again, the device "server" will be resumed again.

So you would only get a notification for the downtime of the router in this case. Does this answer your question?

Kind Regards,
Timo Dambach
Paessler Tech Support

Created on Oct 16, 2020 11:27:13 AM by  Timo Dambach [Paessler Support]

Last change on Oct 16, 2020 12:24:42 PM by  Timo Dambach [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Yes, thank you for the assistance!

Created on Oct 16, 2020 11:47:57 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.