What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Help with WMI Vital System Data v2 Sensor

Votes:

https://www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg/wmi_vital_system_data_v2_sensor

Can someone from PRTG elaborate on the line in this sensor manual that says 'You cannot add this sensor to the hosted probe of a PRTG Hosted Monitor instance. If you want to use this sensor, add it to a remote probe device.'

Does this mean I can't use this sensor on the PRTG main probe? I have to also have a remote probe? I have a small environment of only about 10-12 windows servers that I want to monitor and need to keep the sensor count under 100. I was going to use this vital system data sensor to allow me to check multiple things on a single server using just 1 sensor per server.

But I keep getting timeout issues when trying to add it. Other WMI sensors add fine, so I know its not an access issue. Why can't this sensor be added to the main probe where PRTG is installed?

prtg windows wmi

Created on Oct 20, 2020 8:06:29 PM

Last change on Feb 10, 2021 2:26:23 PM by  Maike Guba [Paessler Support] (2,404) 2 1

1 Reply

Votes:

Hi,

This means that this sensortype cannot be created on the hosted probe which is only available in our cloud-based solution, PRTG Hosted Monitor. Therefore, please let me know if you run PRTG on premises or PRTG Hosted Monitor?

Created on Oct 21, 2020 11:47:21 AM by  Marijan Horsky [Paessler Support]

Last change on Feb 10, 2021 2:27:04 PM by  Maike Guba [Paessler Support] (2,404) 2 1

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.