What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Collection of Flitered Sensors ignores/bypasses Linked Object

Votes:

I was creating a library to monitor all of the Ping sensors within a specific Group, and I realized after a few tries that the Library Node for monitoring a collection of filtered sensors completely ignores the Linked Object and starts pulling from other everywhere!

Is this intended functionality? What is the purpose of linking an object when you are not using the "subtree of the device tree" option? Furthermore, is there anyway to achieve what I want: a list of all the Ping sensors within a specific group.

filter-sensors library library-node linked-object ping-sensor prtg

Created on Oct 21, 2020 1:25:54 PM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi there,

We analyzed the issue in more detail and it seems to be a bug in our latest version(20.4.63). We will notify you if there is a fix for this issue.

Kind regards

Felix Wiesneth - Team Tech Support

Created on Oct 23, 2020 12:53:04 PM by  Felix Wiesneth [Paessler Support]

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello there,

With the Libraries feature, you can create special views of your device tree with up-to-date monitoring status information arranged the way you want. This means that the sensors don't need to be arranged as the device tree. If you want only Ping sensors from one group you may arrange them by filtering for a tag. This tag need to be added in this specific group.

Kind regards

Created on Oct 22, 2020 1:13:51 PM by  Felix Wiesneth [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Doing as was suggested (adding a tag to a group and filtering on it in the Library Node) left me with an empty node. However, adding the tag to an individual sensor had it appear in the node when filtering on that tag. That means that inherited tags do not work for the sake of Library Filters.

As individually tagging each and every sensor I want to monitor defeats the purpose of filtering on a group, I am still looking for an answer.

Further looking into the issue, the functionality I mentioned in my opening post seems to not be intended behavior. When I hover over the help for Filter by Type -> Select Sensor Types it specifically states,

"Select one or more sensor types for filtering. This filter will only affect sensors in the subtree defined by Linked Object above."

Despite... not doing that.

Created on Oct 22, 2020 2:03:55 PM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi there,

We analyzed the issue in more detail and it seems to be a bug in our latest version(20.4.63). We will notify you if there is a fix for this issue.

Kind regards

Created on Oct 23, 2020 12:53:04 PM by  Felix Wiesneth [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.