What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Scanning interval 10s, 30s or 60s for high bandwidth interface

Votes:

I've got a few bandwidth sensors setup on our routers and our Cisco core switch in order to monitor our bandwidth usage. Up until recently we've had the scanning interval set to 10s, but we see odd spikes and drops in the graphs from time to time and I was wondering if maybe we are scanning too often. The idea behind scanning more often was to get a better idea of what the bandwidth was at a specific point in time. A customer might spike to 500-600Mbit/sec but the graph may not show it, if we aren't scanning often enough.

Just trying to figure out how to get to a happy balance here. I need good, raw data but at the same time these anomalous data points are troublesome.

my system currently has 1200 sensors, 185 of those are SNMP bandwidth sensors.

bandwidthsensor prtg scanning-interval

Created on Oct 22, 2020 1:46:31 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hi there,

A scanning interval of 10s is not recommended. If you need more scans than in a 60s scanning interval, I would recommend to try a 30s scanning interval. For low performance impact Sensors, 30s are OK. However, I don't recommend this setting in large systems or for many Sensors. Your system should be able to handle the 30s well.

Created on Oct 23, 2020 7:23:22 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.