What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Sensors offline after moving to new remote probe

Votes:

I have created 2 new remote probes today to better split the load of my environment due to a large number of devices. I have moved some of my containers over to the new probes and immediately show a large number of sensors offline.

The error reads as : No response (check: firewalls, routing, snmp settings of device, IPs, SNMP version, community, passwords etc) (SNMP error # -2003) which would normally indicate an SNMP setting missmatch or not having the SNMP server host defined in the Cisco IOS

Now if I go back and change the SNMP-server host in the Cisco Devices to the IP of the new probe they come online, unfortunately I cannot do this manual intervention for this. Shouldn't they still check in to the root probe and only need to know about the root and this would distribute down to the remote probes?

prtg remote-probe snmp

Created on Oct 23, 2020 3:27:04 PM

8 Replies

Votes:

Hi there,

The error indicates that the new Remote Probe is not allowed to gather the data needed for the sensor from the target device. This is because you have to define which exact IPs are allowed able to gather this data.

You'll need to adjust this setting on all your Cisco Devices to the new Probe's IP, PRTG is not able to do this for you as the setting is not within PRTG but rather directly on the target device.

Kind regards,
Andreas Günther
Tech Support, Paessler AG

[email protected]

Created on Oct 26, 2020 1:51:54 PM by  Andreas Günther [Paessler Support]

Votes:

While logically this makes sense, I do not think this is entirely true. Some devices on the new probe are working fine, just majority are not. All the devices have the same SNMP server settings. So how are some devices able to read the SNMP data on the new probe with the root probe IP?

Reading through documentation, I thought I read that the sensor data was not held on the remote probes and was still held on the root probe for collection anyway?

For a company that has 10's of thousands of sensors over thousands of devices, it is virtually impossible to make individual changes to work in PRTG. If this is truly the case, this makes PRTG an impossibility to move devices between probes as now admins will need to touch every device to update SNMP settings.

Created on Oct 26, 2020 2:18:21 PM

Votes:

Hi there,

There are some device which allow every incoming IP to query SNMP data, these would work without any configuration change.

That's right, but the monitoring calls are sent from the new Remote Probe's IP.

Please understand that this is not primarily because of PRTG, but rather the SNMP protocol itself allows for this configuration.

Kind regards,
Andreas Günther

[email protected]

Created on Oct 27, 2020 7:41:29 PM by  Andreas Günther [Paessler Support]

Votes:

So to further the questions on the SNMP settings that you are suggesting, I have some devices that have randomly gone offline in our primary probe. I cannot ping from either the probe or switch in either direction from eachother. Ping works otherwise and the device is online.

If I move these devices over to a new probe it comes back online, even without ANY SNMP settings in the switch. If I move it back to the original probe that there actually is SNMP info created, it goes offline.

So seeing this, I am not sure the answer is SNMP device settings on the switch. It seems a good number of switches worked fine on the new probe and mostly Router Sensors that went offline. EX: Ping was fine, but all the other SNMP Health sensors went offline

It seems we are in a no win situation as we created new probes due to inconsistencies seen with the primary, but then ones that work on the Prim dont work on the remote probe and ones that dont work on the prim do work on the remote probe. This just defies all logic.

Created on Oct 28, 2020 2:47:12 PM

Votes:

Hi there,

Thank you for your message.

I think it's a good idea to continue with this topic in a dedicated Support Ticket. You'll get an email shortly.

Kind regards,
Andreas Günther

[email protected]

Created on Oct 29, 2020 11:08:32 AM by  Andreas Günther [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello,

I am having the same problem as user PM-Performance, what was the solution given?

Created on Apr 28, 2023 1:29:48 PM

Votes:

Any solution for this issue ? I am seeing the sensors of servers not working after moving to new remote probe.

Created on May 15, 2023 5:57:42 PM

Votes:

It can happen for many reasons, if the sensors work when moving them back to the previous probe, it means the new probe doesnt have access to poll these devices, it can be something blocked in the network at a firewall level, it can be that your new probe ip address is not allowed to poll the devices and you need to add the ip to the allow list that some devices have. It will depend on what kind of sensors they are, WMI sensors can be testes with the WMI tester, SNMP sensors with the SNMP tester. And Ping sensors should work if there is network routing from the probe to the target devices.

Created on May 19, 2023 8:06:59 PM by  Jonathan Mena [Paessler Technical Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.